Isometric drawing made easy!!

Hi, I have worked out a really simple method of drawing all manner of complicated objects in isometric. You begin by drawing a flat plane and then you use some maths to 'pull' the plane into the isometric shape. See attached (isometric).

This works for any plane parallel to the XY-plane, the XZ-plane or the YZ-plane. I also have a slightly longer procedure for when this isn't the case. (isometric sloping)

isometric.dwg

ISOMETRIC SLOPING.dwg

Neat. I love iso's however, usually only work with plan and elevation views.

I think I'll go play some with my AutoCAD Erector Set.

Thanks for givin' me something to play with on this slow day at work.

Thanks Seant

No problem Tankman,

I now always relish my boss giving me iso's to do, and my colleagues think it's like a magic trick!

Thanks rkent.

I'd like to try that. How do I actually use it? i don't use lisp very much.

I've saved the file in my support directory, and within AutoCAD typed (load "isoviews"), but then what?

Maxelkat

Thanks rkent.

I'd like to try that. How do I actually use it? i don't use lisp very much.

I've saved the file in my support directory, and within AutoCAD typed (load "isoviews2), but then what?

Maxelkat

For occassional use you can drag and drop a lisp file from Windows File Explorer onto the drawing and it is loaded. After that you simply type ISOVIEWS and follow the prompts. If you want it to load all the time you can use APPLOAD command, and add to the Startup Suite, Contents and it will load each time.

Make sure that whatever folder you store the lisp files in that that folder is in the path statement for AutoCAD. Options, Files, Support File Search Path. I think it is important for this file any way so the dialog box can be displayed.

Thanks rkent

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for blocks, and I don't want to have to explode everything (in fact I specifically need them to stay intact so I can update them and they'll automatically update in isometric views), so i'm probably better off sticking to my way.

Thanks anyway.

Max

Thanks rkent

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for blocks, and I don't want to have to explode everything (in fact I specifically need them to stay intact so I can update them and they'll automatically update in isometric views), so i'm probably better off sticking to my way.

Thanks anyway.

Max

I guess I didn't understand your method, it works on blocks?

If I did a lot of isos I would make dynamic blocks with the various views. But as I think remark says, going to 3D is the way to go and then all your blocks work without any changes to them, etc.

• 4 years later...

Hi Seant

I realize this is a very old posting but I am very interested.

I don't understand what the scaling has to do with where an object is placed :geek:.

Isometric Properties.jpg

You can see the text object I have selected and the figures you give for x and y appear to be something to do with scaling!

Of even more interest is how you got the text back to front. I's really like to know how you did that one.

Thanks

Actually, that particular drawing was done by this threads OP, Maxelkat.

The Block Insertion process requires the user to assign specific X, Y, and Z scales. If the use sets the scaling for X, say, then the Reference is the same X scale ad the original Block definition. It can be ½ scale by specifying .5, or 2 times scale by specifying 2. If the user specifies a negative value it will mirror the Block definition about the respective axis.

The scales that Maxelkat specified match the foreshortening/stretching associated with Isometric Projection.

Hi Vagulus

The scaling and rotation determine how the flat object is distorted to form the isometric object.

This method involves initially rotating your object 45 degrees in order to independently scale in the x and y directions, thereby 'squashing' the object into the correct isometric shape.

Any horizontal or vertical distances in the original object will be preserved by the method.

If the object has text in it, end either the x or y scaling is negative, this will reverse the text (unless or until you explode it).

Another way of getting reverse text is to set the MIRRTEXT variable to 1, and then mirror some ordinary text.

Thanks for the interest

Maxelkat

• 1 year later...