• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AJSmith

• stevsmith

• ReMark

• Glen Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take a look at the QNEW command. Refer to your Help files or use the Search feature above and type in QNEW. Also check out Similar Threads listed below.

dont think i explained clearly what i was after had a search around the help menus and the forums and cant find the answer

in the office we have a set of templates for each paper size

however i want to have it so when you open AutoCAD the blank drawing that opens has some basic setting eg fonts dim styles etc

how would i set it so the default drawing is a template not the AutoCAD default?

Get all the stuff that you want one one drawing. Then save it as a template - File - Save As, then select Files of type and choose .dwt this should change the path to save the drawing to the templates directory. Now save your drawing as the acad.dwt file. This is assuming that you have not changed the default startup drawing.

Naturally, be sure to save a backup copy of the old acad.dwt before you commit.

Now when you launch AutoCAD your default drawing will have all your standard stuff loaded.

Glen

Ah right. You are looking to make a template file.

you can use design centre to import all your linetyes, styles etc from already completed drawings you have done in the past. then save the file as a .dwt as Glen has stated.

or you can make them from scratch.

i understand templates .dwt files and have used the options file drawing template file location to point to where all the templates are saved on the server

so just want to know if i can point AutoCAD to one file as its default in sted of opening cad closing the blank drawing and then opening a new black drawing from my templates

the idea being if i want to create an Xref i dont need the title box and layout tabs i have in other templates i just need a blank drawing that is set to unitless and hads a font dim styles as a few of the CAD users in the office insist on using cad with out fully knowing what they are doing so i want to try and reduce the errors they can make

Cheers

When you have specified the qnew template file, the default opening drawing when you start Autocad should be the .dwt template file you have specified.

We seem to be going in circles here.

Create a template with ALL of your settings, layers, text styles, dimension styles, system variables, etc., etc., etc. and load this automatically everytime you start a new drawing. How much more control do you want?

We seem to be going in circles here.

Create a template with ALL of your settings, layers, text styles, dimension styles, system variables, etc., etc., etc. and load this automatically everytime you start a new drawing. How much more control do you want?

Thank you!

I was thinking i was becoming demented with this. thankfully someone else has realised this.

Have you got a DWG that has all the defaults that you want to have?

Save that drawing in the templates folder with the filename acad.dwt.

Unless you changed the defualts, this will be the drawing that opens when you launch AutoCAD.

In Options - Files - Template Settings there is a selection for "Default Template File Name for QNEW" select it and click browse, then select the acad.dwt file that you saved above.

I think that this will do what you want.

Glen

templates2.jpg