Scale objects along 1 axis

Randolph

I'm looking for a procedure to scale objects along 1 axis only.

The varia command doesn't work this way. It always scales along all 3 axis.

Workaround:

make objects block

delete objects

insert block

scale block in x,y- or z-direction only.

As I like to automate things :P, this appears a little like awkward.

Can anybody help? Thanx!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph

• alanjt

• ica_cici

• lpseifert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi lp,

thanks. i read the code thru and i guess you're right, it seems to do exactly what i described. strange enough that you have to do such things to get a result, which is the easiest thing in any other cad application.

Hi Alan, thanks, but don't be too bored:

Befehl: xyz
Objekte wählen: 1 gefunden
Objekte wählen:
Specify base point:
Geometry factor to scale [X/Y/Z]: x
Error: no function definition: AT:INSERTBLOCK

However, the scaleaxis function didn't work either - didn't explode the block. If you scalaxis another object, the previously scaleaxised object will be changed to the second object, as the same block is beeing redefined. Strange enough, the block cannot be exploded manually, either.

Hi ica,

I'm rotating with work right now. I hope I can try FIT.lsp today or tomorrow.

PS: Alan,

I just tried your zerorotation, as I had to rotate 5 floors of plan. it worked quite well except for some rooms, and it also rotated my cars in the garage. still, it saved me a load of work! thanxalot!

I just read the readme of fit.lsp by xordesign. it says:

"This tool scales any selection of 2D elements to fit a custom X/Y boundry"

I'm afraid I need to scale 3D elements. And either by a scale factor as well as with a reference. A pity that scaleaxis doesn't work properly.

Hi Alan, thanks, but don't be too bored:

Befehl: xyz
Objekte wählen: 1 gefunden
Objekte wählen:
Specify base point:
Geometry factor to scale [X/Y/Z]: x
Error: no function definition: AT:INSERTBLOCK

However, the scaleaxis function didn't work either - didn't explode the block. If you scalaxis another object, the previously scaleaxised object will be changed to the second object, as the same block is beeing redefined. Strange enough, the block cannot be exploded manually, either.

Guess that might help. :)

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showpost.php?p=280379&postcount=42

PS: Alan,

I just tried your zerorotation, as I had to rotate 5 floors of plan. it worked quite well except for some rooms, and it also rotated my cars in the garage. still, it saved me a load of work! thanxalot!

Glad you got some use from it. :)

When you say except for some rooms, what did it do/not do?

with rooms i mean the room definition as we call it, don't no the english name.

it's the text which says "sleeping room, 19.23 m², parquet". It stayed as it was. but don't worry too much about that, as they came from an imported plan and I had problems with their rotation from the beginning on. But more interesting:

I found out that zerorotation rotates ALL BLOCKS - also loos and washing machines.

with rooms i mean the room definition as we call it, don't no the english name.

it's the text which says "sleeping room, 19.23 m², parquet". It stayed as it was. but don't worry too much about that, as they came from an imported plan and I had problems with their rotation from the beginning on. But more interesting:

I found out that zerorotation rotates ALL BLOCKS - also loos and washing machines.

Post an example of this strange text.

ZeroRotation will rotate: TEXT MTEXT, MULTILEADERs, ATTDEF and BLOCKs.

I just read the readme of fit.lsp by xordesign. it says:

"This tool scales any selection of 2D elements to fit a custom X/Y boundry"

I'm afraid I need to scale 3D elements. And either by a scale factor as well as with a reference. A pity that scaleaxis doesn't work properly.

Yes, this fit.lsp is based on x/y boundary but if you want to scale an object only in one axis, you can set the other axis in 1 or same as the reference.

For an example:

Imagine you have a box (x,y,z)=(2X3X4)

and you want to scale it by the x axis only, so the box new sizes are (x,y,z)=(4x3x4).

here the steps:

1. After loading the fit.lsp , you will asked for - X: Specify Reference width and direction (A Point Please):2
  2. X: Specify new width (A Point please):4

3. Y: Specify Reference height:1
  4. Y: Specify new height:1

or

1. After loading the fit.lsp , you will asked for - X: Specify Reference width and direction (A Point Please):2
  2. X: Specify new width (A Point please):4

3. Y: Specify Reference height:3
  4. Y: Specify new height:3

It can be used for vice versa (scale by the y axis), and if you want to scale the z axis only just change the view port and put the z point to the y reference ordinate, set the x axis in 1.

"Post an example of this strange text."

No time now, as it's not very important. It's a block consisting of text, it shows no rotation attribute in the attribute editor, and if you double click it, the "Enhanced Attribute Editor" opens. Ther you find diverse attributes for room specification. But as I said, never mind, and it's the wrong thread anyway. By the anyway: my fillet and chamfer problem is more important ... :)

Hi Ica,

I tried it and it worked so far. The problem is - as far as I have seen, that I have to know the original and the new length. As in most cases I don't know either, I would have to measure. Now my original length is 213,17 cm (for example a wall which has been cut at an angle), and my new length should be 429,38 cm. Do I have to enter both values manually?

"Post an example of this strange text."

No time now, as it's not very important. It's a block consisting of text, it shows no rotation attribute in the attribute editor, and if you double click it, the "Enhanced Attribute Editor" opens. Ther you find diverse attributes for room specification. But as I said, never mind, and it's the wrong thread anyway. By the anyway: my fillet and chamfer problem is more important ... :)

True, but if there's an issue with the routine it IS important to me.

I've told you from the start on your fillet, chamfer issue, repair the install.

If it's important to you, I'll send you an example.

Concerning the blocks, I think it would be nice to leave them out or make a choice. Because when rotating a plan, I have to re-rotate the text, but not the toilets. On the other side, they're on a different layer anyway, so I just turn it off or lock it.

True, you told me to, but it would have been a little risky and 2 fullstops in the lisp also did the job. Quite astonishing. Of course without solving ar analyzing the actual problem.

If it's important to you, I'll send you an example.

Yeah, if you don't mind. :)

Concerning the blocks, I think it would be nice to leave them out or make a choice. Because when rotating a plan, I have to re-rotate the text, but not the toilets. On the other side, they're on a different layer anyway, so I just turn it off or lock it.

That's what QSelect is for.

True, you told me to, but it would have been a little risky and 2 fullstops in the lisp also did the job. Quite astonishing. Of course without solving ar analyzing the actual problem.

I'm so pissed about that, I could have sworn I told you to use "_.fillet". I even went back and found the original thread. It occurred to me, I apparently never posted it. Glad someone was smart enough to get you straightened out. :)