Landscape and Garden Design software?

MarvinX

Hi all, Because all the information i found on the net are confusing, i would like to know if there is a specific program for designing gardens and landscapes! What is the most common software that profesionals at this sector use? Is it Autocad related? Is it an add on? Is it Max? A fiend of mine asks and i would like to point him to the right direction for some CAD courses! Thank you in advance...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Cad64

• MarvinX

• kili

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this friend seriously considering the field of landscape design? I believe this is a five year program. The School of Environmental Science and Forestry at SUNY in Syacuse, New York has such a program (landscape architecture). I hear that it is quite intense. Students can expect to spend anywhere from 20-40 hours a week just on lab work.

There are a multitude of "cheapo" landscape design packages out there ranging in price from $9.99 to $99.99 for the do-it-yourself crowd. I don't know what the "professionals" use.

We just use plain old Autocad for our landscape designs. Then I use Studio Max for Architectural Visualization where I import our 2D Cad drawing to create the rendered images.

Thank you both for your replies...She has some basic knowlege and wants to take a step into the CAD aspect of things. So i'll recomend to her some Autocad lessons to start with and seeing the way things are going maybe Max lessons!

She works at a bar...enough said??? haha haha One round will be for you!

Really? I'll come over for a liquid lunch. Where shall we meet? :lol:

I tried a demo version of LandFX, but wasn't all that impressed with it. We have tried similar programs in the past which now just sit on the shelf collecting dust, so we passed on it. Also, the sales rep contacted me immediately after I downloaded it and kept calling me and sending emails trying to convince me to buy it. I finally had to tell him to stop bugging me and that I would contact him if I decided to buy.

Give it a try though, it might work for you.

Nothing makes me NOT want to buy something more than a pushy salesman!

I tried a demo version of LandFX, but wasn't all that impressed with it. We have tried similar programs in the past which now just sit on the shelf collecting dust, so we passed on it. Also, the sales rep contacted me immediately after I downloaded it and kept calling me and sending emails trying to convince me to buy it. I finally had to tell him to stop bugging me and that I would contact him if I decided to buy.

Give it a try though, it might work for you.

Nothing makes me NOT want to buy something more than a pushy salesman!

:lol: Exactly, and this guy was relentless. But putting that aside, the program itself is probably one of the better ones that I've tried. But the problem with these programs is that everything is automatic. And when things are automatic, people stop thinking which results in mistakes on the plans, change orders, angry clients, etc., etc. It may take a little longer for us to generate our plans, but at least we are confident when the plans go out the door that they were completed to the best of our abilities and are relatively mistake free. And most of all, we actually put some thought into what we were doing. :wink:

Cad64: Are there any other "professional grade" landscape design packages that you are aware of? I think the one I provided the link to was close to $2,000 (U.S.).

our office used landfx pretty extensively. i am particularly fond of the irrigation feature. whereas would take a couple of days to complete an irrigation exercise for, say a small institution like a preschool, it takes me about 4 hours to complete.

Now with all the LEED compliances coming along, LandFX is working on an irrigation demands calc to see where Landscape firms can get points. though, there arent very much LEED points lscapers can be awarded.

Professional landscape design software (free trial available).

http://www.landfx.com/

Maybe forum member chulse could make a recommendation.

In short - no, I really can't make any recommendations...:oops:

I watched a demo of Land FX and we have talked about it at work, but we currently don't do enough "new landscape" designs to warrant the purchase. Perhaps in the future.

Most of what we do is collaborative design with engineers and architects to protect existing trees through a development project. So to be compatable, we use Civil 3D. :geek:

Really? Not many LEED points landscapers can be awarded? I would have though just the opposite.

I think there's only two points. one for the amount of shaddow casted by tree scapes and the other for irrigation water usage.