Help with layers

Mason Dixon

I'm trying to create a catalog for our company. I would like to put my profiles of the different products along the top row and the bottom row will have the 3d perspective of those individual pieces. What I am doing is putting the left bottom corner of each profile at 0,0 in model space, I then went to paperspace and created the viewport windows. I created 8 layers, one for each viewport window. I stuck my first profile in the top left viewport, I then went to the bottom one and twisted it to the perspective I liked. My problem is that I wanted to lock down each viewport layer so that I could keep the pieces in place and move on to the next 2 viewports with a different profile/perspective but, locking down the layers doesn't seem to want to keep the original profile in place.

a2t6p4.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mason Dixon

• ReMark

• MikeScott

• SPARKY77

Thanks, but after checking 'yes' to Display Locked I went to use the 2nd profile and the first didn't stay in place.

Lock just locks the scale of the viewport not the object. I guess You are moving the object - try to move your point of view to get the desierd result - pan, zoom, rotate.

Your description is a little unclear.

You have 8 layers, one item/viewport per layer... all items occur at 0,0 in Modelspace.

in Paperspace, you select the viewport #2 and adjust something on the corresponding "layer 2" but you see the changes occur in viewport #1 as well.

You shouldn't see anything changing in Viewport #1 if the work is being done on Layer #2, and Layer #2 is turned off in that viewport #1. If there's a real bug/issue just go and freeze layer #1 until you're finished working on Layer 2.. that way nothing can adjust it.

The viewports are assigned to a layer.. not the other way around, so you can draw on any layer through any viewport, you just need to choose which layer you're drawing on. You can also select what layers you can see through each viewport.

Sounds like you might be drawing on a new layer.. like dimensions or something, and the layer is turned on at least one of your other viewports.

If I've misunderstood, and you mean that you moved/copied a viewport, and it made the part move:

Think of your viewports as holes in the paper allowing you to see your model, you get a better appreciation of why your objects not moving.. just your view of it. (When you lock a viewport, you're locking your view, but not like a photograph.. more like a guy standing there with binoculars looking at something.. if you slide him sideways, his view changes even though he hasn't adjusted his aim at all.)

I would think that if that's the case, you should be able to pan the item back into view. Assuming you are copying/moving the viewport.

The object should remain staionary while your point of view is adjusted. It's easy when all you want is a top, front, right side, isometric view. It gets a little more complicated when you want something that isn't standard.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear on what I'm trying to do. Basically I've got hundreds of profiles to put in a catalog and underneath each profile I would like to have the 3d perspective underneath. I would like to have some sort of template that I can drag my profiles in and the 3d perspective will show up underneath. Trying to manually drag each of the 3d objects into position is too tedious and wouldn't look uniform. The only way I can think to do this is drag my profile in model space to 0,0. In paperspace I draw 2 viewports, 1 on top the other on the bottom. I line up how I like my profile in the top viewport. I do the same to 3d object underneath. I then copy the top viewport and paste as many as I need to the right. I do the same with the 3d perspective viewport so that every future profile I drag in model space will show up aligned to same way. If there is no way to lock down the viewport so that the profile stays in place when I change to the next one in modelspace, can you think of another way I can do this?

edit: Locking the layer and freezing the layer aren't working

2nv9vzk.gif

From the sound of it you have 1 oject that is seen through the 8 viewports, if you want different view of it in the viewport you will need to use orbit through the vp. another wat would be to create the object 4 time on for each pair of vp

you need to import each of you profiles in to the drawing on a new layer and then go into your vp and freeze all the layers apart from the 1 with the profile you want. do this for each profile.

Here are the four profiles. You can see how they all change when I change to the next profile in model space.

23wvdit.gif

Are the profiles drawn in invisible ink? Sorry but I do not see any profiles. Did you forget something or is it my computer?

Thanks. I can see clearly now. Well, kind of.

So we have 8 layers. 4 layers for the profiles and 4 layers for the perspective view. OK...that part I understand.

It's the next part I'm vague on.

Somehow you want to bring a new profile in and have a perspective appear below it not only at the same relative angle but automatically so you do not have to manually drag objects into position?

Is that correct?

AND...you want the views generated to be locked in some manner so they don't move when...? Now, I'm confused again.

yes, after I get the views I need in the first top and bottom window I want to lock them in place and use a different profile/perspective for the next top and bottom vp's, and so on with the third, fourth sets

Freezing, Locking and turning Display Locked to ON all do not work.

How do I lock a viewport?

You can lock what is displayed in a viewport but to my knowledge you cannot lock the viewport in a particular place itself. Viewports have to be mobile so they can be repositioned at will.