Calling all AutoCAD Electrical users. Can I pick your brain?

ReMark

Once you get the titleblock & WD_DB block working, they can be really handy for updating information in the title block. That said, all the ACADE tutorials that I have read are terrible.

I put together some notes when I was trying to figure out some stuff with the WD_DB block and title blocks. It may be no better than the rest of the stuff you have read, but here it is:

PROJECT NAME.WDP FILE DESCRIPTION

... Lines starting with a * are project description lines. These are updated from within AutoCAD via right clicking on the project name and selecting 'Descriptions'. They work with the WD_TB attribute in the Title block template and the default_wdtitle.wdl file. WD_TB defines an attribute line and assigns it either an actual value;
 attribute_name="text"
 What is within the quotes will be assigned to the attribute EVERY TIME the project update function is performed. If you set an attribute manually in the title block but the WD_TB assigns it via this method - it will be overwritten.

or a line number;
 attribute_name=LINE#
 (Uses default_wdtitle.wdl and WD_TB attribute in title block to assign values to title block attributes when the project update function is performed.)

The default_wdtitle.wdl file assigns a descriptive name to a LINE# so you can figure out what you should be entering when you set the project description.

PROJECT_NAME.WDP file:

*[1]12345
 *[2]CITYNAME
 *[3]CORRECTIONAL
 *[4]INSTITUTION
 *[6]CITY, STATE
 *[7]GC NAME
 *[8]GC DIV.
 *[9]ARCHITECT NAME
 *[10]ARH DIV.
 …

default_wdtitle.wdl file: 

LINE1=Proj Number:
 LINE2=Proj Line 1:
 LINE3=Proj Line 2:
 LINE4=Proj Line 3:
 LINE5=Proj Line 4:
 LINE6=Location:
 LINE7=General Cont 1:
 LINE8=General Cont 2:
 LINE9=Architect 1:
 LINE10=Architect 2:

WD_TB attribute value in the title block:

PROJ_NUM = LINE1;
 PROJECT_LINE_1 = LINE2;
 PROJECT_LINE_2 = LINE3;
 PROJECT_LINE_3 = LINE4;
 PROJECT_LINE_4 = LINE5;
 LOCATION = LINE6;
 GENERAL_CONTRACTOR_1 = LINE7;
 GENERAL_CONTRACTOR_2 = LINE8;
 ARCHITECT_1 = LINE9;
 ARCHITECT_2 = LINE10;
 DRAWN_BY = "GAS";
 SCALE = "NONE";
 DWG_SIZE = "D"

AS I UNDERSTAND IT - the WD_TB "block" that they are referring to is actually an attribute that is added to your title block that allows you to use the project manager to update information in the title block. Each drawing may have 1 layout, each drawing must be in its own DWG file. Or at least - the project manager assumes that is the case.

Other things that may trip you up:

-Removing a drawing from the PM does not delete the drawing, it simply removes it from the PM if you want it GONE, you must go to windows exp and delete the file.

-When you start a new drawing - be sure that the project that you want to put it into is the active project.

-Most of the Project manager functions will not work unless you have at least one drawing open (drawing1 works fine).

-Project manager sometimes likes to arbitrarily close drawings when opening new ones... I've never had it not SAVE the drawing before closing it, but it can be very scary to expect to window back to the drawing you were working on only to have AutoCAD tell you there is only one open. And heaven help you if you did not want those changes saved.

Good luck, I'll be happy to help where I can, but we are barely scratching the surface of what Electrical can do.

Glen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• dbroada

• Glen Smith

• firsrate_caduser

Thanks for the info Glen.

Unfortunately today I was unable to even open up the program as I had to get to work on a drawing for a work order. I plan to try again on Wednesday. I'll be back.

Hi ReMark!

Sorry for not been here, just very busy. I understand you having problems to set up a project manager.

Project manager is one the greates thing if you of course set it up right. there you can can set up your settings for each individual project.

as Glen Smith mentioned, the WD_DB block is just an invisible block wiht bunch of attributes so ECAD can keep a record in its data base. so when you inserted in any drawing Project Manager (PM) will be able to see it.

Let me know if you need to seet it up so I can tell you step by step or if you can send me a title block and I can set it for you. I know this info is too vague but

I have been playing with the PM for a couple of hours and can see the project defaults getting put into my border ok (I'm using the .wdt approach rather than the WD_TP attribute method) but I do have a question.

One of our panels will typically have lots of sheets in several disciplines. We currently keep these in their own groups. I think a list here will show our drawing set far easier than words.....

• HSM20021-01-GA-0001-01
  • HSM20021-01-GA-0001-02
  • HSM20021-01-GA-0002-01
  • HSM20021-01-GA-0003-01
  • HSM20021-01-MA-0001-01
  • HSM20021-01-MA-0002-01
  • HSM20021-01-PDD-0001-01
  • HSM20021-01-PDD-0002-01
  • HSM20021-01-PDD-0002-02
  • HSM20021-01-WD-0001-01
  • HSM20021-01-WD-0001-02
  • HSM20021-01-WD-0001-03

obviously the HSM20021 is the project number.

the first -01- is sub section 1, in the case of the above list it is the SPS Cabinet. The SCS Cabinet is sub section 02 etc

Then GA, PDD, WD etc are disciplines, General Arrangement (mechanical), Power Distribution and Wiring Diagram.

The 0001, 0002 etc are sub group within discipline so PDD-0001 is often AC distribution and PDD-0002 is DC distribution.

And finally the -01, -02 is sheet number.

This works well for us. What I can't yet determine if this approach is sensible with AutoCAD Electrical. I have only been able to have my sheets numbered from 1 to MAX, not in groups each from 1 to MAX.

Do you know if it is possible to achieve what I am after?

I know it is possible, I don't know right now how to do it. I remember seeing a here on CADTutor to an AutoCAD electrical blog that had a procedure on setting up sub-projects within a project in the Electrical PM. I thought I bookmarked it, but I've had a quick look through my bookmarks and can't find it.

I'll do a more thorough search at lunch, but maybe this will trigger someone elses memory.

Glen

lunchtime!!! Its almost going home time here!

Thanks. I did ask if it was possible when I took the training course. "Yes I'm sure it is but it that sort of thing will be covered by Bill next week." Of course I forgot to ask Bill on the next week. I could phone him up but I'll stick with users for now.

lunchtime!!! Its almost going home time here!

Sure, go ahead, rub it in. On the other hand, 4 hours ago, I was asleep...

I found it. The link is here: http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/blogs/blog/view/7/Processing_Multiple_Sub-Projects/

I have not done this, merely noted that it was possible. It looks a bit complex, but it may be simple once you read through the procedure.

Let us know how well it works.

Glen

I wondered if you would spot that 4 hours ago I was working hard :(

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if it has answered the question I was thinking about but it has answered one I hadn't yet realised I needed to ask. :) I'll look harder at it tomorrow and reformulate my thoughts.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure you have already mastered the program by now, but if you need any help pm/email me. ukcads@googlemail.com

I used this software to draw circuit diagrams and create electrical symbols for about 12 months. Also have been on the training course. I'm no expert, but I know the program fairly well. (apart from finding a blasted RCBO symbol!)