Dynamic Block - Rotation Parameter and Text

tzframpton

Wondering if there was a way to have text maintain a rotation angle of 0 while being included in a rotation parameter. I am wanting the "N" for my North Arrow to follow the direction of the symbol of my viewport tag without the "N" character rotation angle changing with it. Thanks in advance. 8)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• alanjt

• BIGAL

• NBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean something like the attached.

It's not a north arrow, but hopefully it will shed some light onto your requirements.

What's going on with this file?? First it asks me to enable Macros and then it asks me to open the Block Editor. Whether I do or don't it just automatically closes the file.

First of all, the macros in it are dvb files embedded (bascially they are reactors I've put in to control automatic layering, assistance with INSUNITS and it's associates, and to assist with plotting).

Secondly, it's a dynamic block, of course it will ask if you want to open the block editor.

To overcome these 'obstacles', enable macros for that particular drawing, then goto VBAMAN, and unload all the VBA files you see that you haven't seen before.

Then you will need to save the file (once you have overcome the opening Block editor issue).

Rotate the arrow around the text. Steal and modify the Dynamic Arrow symbol (not the north arrow) on the Tool Palettes in the Imperial Samples portion of the palette. The arrowhas several different options.

First of all, the macros in it are dvb files embedded (bascially they are reactors I've put in to control automatic layering, assistance with INSUNITS and it's associates, and to assist with plotting).

Secondly, it's a dynamic block, of course it will ask if you want to open the block editor.

To overcome these 'obstacles', enable macros for that particular drawing, then goto VBAMAN, and unload all the VBA files you see that you haven't seen before.

Then you will need to save the file (once you have overcome the opening Block editor issue).

Ahh.... you WBLOCK'ed it. Now it makes sense.... just been like 5 years since I've dealt with a blocked DWG....

Anyways, this is what I'm looking for. Notice the N character when you rotate the north arrow.... I want the N character to maintain a 0 rotation angle.

TAG.dwg

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a while to figure this out the first time but became a breeze after I got it to work.

Model Space:

Start with your text and shapes in place, preferable along the +x-axis. Make it into a block.

Block editor: Under "Parameter Sets" select "Linear Move" and start at your center of rotation and stretch to along the +x-axis. Select the parameter and under properties on the second to last line set "Chain Actions" to "Yes". Use the move action on the text and parameter selecting your red-X reference at the outer end of the parameter (not the center of rotation). Next put down a "Rotation Set" parameter from center of rotation to a radius large enough to cover the center objects and the "Linear Move" parameter; neglect the text. Select the "Rotation Set" parameter and switch its "Chain Action" to "Yes" just as with the "Linear Move" parameter. Under "Actions" select "Rotate" and select the "Rotation Set" parameter then your shapes and LINEAR MOVE PARAMETER ONLY! DO NOT SELECT THE TEXT! With those selected press enter, close the block (Command: BCLOSE) and test it on your Model or Paper Space!

Tip: With the rotation set parameter, start and finish the angle on the +x-axis and simple move the big blue dot to the location you want to click to rotate the compass.

If you can inform me how to reduce to size of my CAD files, I can post an example dynamic block. I can't get it any smaller than 495Kb.

It took me a while to figure this out the first time but became a breeze after I got it to work.

Model Space:

Start with your text and shapes in place, preferable along the +x-axis. Make it into a block.

Block editor: Under "Parameter Sets" select "Linear Move" and start at your center of rotation and stretch to along the +x-axis. Select the parameter and under properties on the second to last line set "Chain Actions" to "Yes". Use the move action on the text and parameter selecting your red-X reference at the outer end of the parameter (not the center of rotation). Next put down a "Rotation Set" parameter from center of rotation to a radius large enough to cover the center objects and the "Linear Move" parameter; neglect the text. Select the "Rotation Set" parameter and switch its "Chain Action" to "Yes" just as with the "Linear Move" parameter. Under "Actions" select "Rotate" and select the "Rotation Set" parameter then your shapes and LINEAR MOVE PARAMETER ONLY! DO NOT SELECT THE TEXT! With those selected press enter, close the block (Command: BCLOSE) and test it on your Model or Paper Space!

Tip: With the rotation set parameter, start and finish the angle on the +x-axis and simple move the big blue dot to the location you want to click to rotate the compass.

If you can inform me how to reduce to size of my CAD files, I can post an example dynamic block. I can't get it any smaller than 495Kb.

Email it to me.....

*edit - removed email*

I am still going to test this out when I have a minute.... BUSY at work today, at the moment anyways.

Got it. Works perfectly. numberOCD I can't thank you enough. This little Dynamic Block actually taught me a bit more about how things work, too. So I came out ahead in two areas, more knowledgeable and a viewport tag that works. :thumbsup:

*posted the block for reference*

VMI - TAG.dwg

So it's a move parameter that activates when the rotation parameter is executed?

Yes, but you're only rotating the move parameter and NOT the entity that the move parameter is associated with. Then, the whole "Chain Actions" is the miracle property as well.

Yes, but you're only rotating the move parameter and NOT the entity that the move parameter is associated with. Then, the whole "Chain Actions" is the miracle property as well.

Very slick. Learn something new every day.

Just out of curiosity, Alan.... can you program and alter certain parameters of Dynamic Blocks using VLISP?

Yes. I've posted several examples. Somewhere is one I did that will allow the user to change visibility states of multiple selected blocks.

There's a nice GetDynamicBlockProperties for VLisp.

• 2 years later...

The north arrow is awesome. It's exactly what I was looking for too. Thanks! How did you make the "N" always stay @ 0 deg or 90 deg to the circle around the arrow. This is the part I'm trying to figure out. Thanks,

Mike

The north arrow is awesome. It's exactly what I was looking for too. Thanks! How did you make the "N" always stay @ 0 deg or 90 deg to the circle around the arrow. This is the part I'm trying to figure out. Thanks,

Mike

You use the Point Parameter to select the "N" Text. You set this Parameter to "Chain" in the Properties Palette. Then you apply the Rotation Parameter, and when you make your selection to apply the Rotation Action, you select only the Point Parameter, not the "N" Text. This way the Point Parameter is is the only thing that's rotating, but because of the Chain Property it "drags" the N along with it. The N stays upright because there's no Rotation Parameter/Action applied to it, so it's merely a change in position only.

*EDIT* Keep in mind that the "Chained Actions" is extremely powerful and really "completes" Dynamic Block functionality. Here's more info:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-6c8a.htm

Also another tip - the Point Parameter comes in handy a ton. But it'll create Grips all over your block, but you can select a Point Parameter and in Properties, set the Grips to zero (0). This hides the additional Grips, but still maintains the functionality. If you're venturing into the Dynamic Block arena, this little tips really give a huge increase in functionality.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Lets say we have the north arrow block that can be rotated 360 degrees. Is there any way by which it could be inserted in title block and than in sheet set manager, a rotation value is set for the project, so that any layout created in that project has the same north arrow block rotation (eliminates human errors).