Working with Curve Surface

nicolas

Hi,

I am looking for some techniques regarding putting a block or any other geometrical object at certain length along a curved surface i.e an arc or spline.

I need to take a curve surface and put a block at 150mm. from the endpoint. The distance 150 mm. means arc length from the endpoint of the arc. I then break the two ends away from the arc and work on the remaining portion using divide command to place same blocks along predefined distance. I know this work. It is the first step, taking an arc distance of 150mm. from the endpoints which is difficult.

Attached you will find part of a project I am working on.

Thank you very much.

Nicolas

curve_study1.dwg

It appears that you should be using the command Lengthen. First of all the shorten each end by 150, and then after you have placed blocks/ lines using divide, then use lengthen again to make the original line length.

Measure command. I think it only works clockwise though. and you can switch the ucs to go counter-clockwise. Which is annoying. Anyone know a better way to measure counter-clockwise?

Thanks very much. I have been using Measure to divide the arc into 150s then I have to erase all the nodes except 1, use break and then extend. Take the remainder, mirror, repeat measure, and erase all the nodes except the first one ... the process is really lengthy through I have been able to complete it. I will try to use lengthen from now on and see how it helps. Should you know how to measure counter clockwise will be great.

Measure works from the nearest endpoint of the line/arc that you pick. So it is NOT limited to going clockwise, but you have to pick the correct point.

As regards your method of working, if you shorten both ends by using Lengthen with a negative amount, then you can use divide on what is left. Then use Lengthen again to restore to the original length. :D

Measure works from the nearest endpoint of the line/arc that you pick. So it is NOT limited to going clockwise, but you have to pick the correct point.

so simple... so good