• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• nck

• SLW210

• alanjt

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel I've overcomplicated the situation; I apologize.

I dont think thats it. i think i just dont know enough or am not brave enough to make some of the changes that have been suggested. ill do more reading and somehow get something figured out

yes open any existing drawing and automatically apply my custom dimstyle, make it current and i dont care if it updates all existing dimensions. just the new dimensions.

You will need a lisp to accomplish this, I think if you set alanjt's lisp to load with ACADDOC.LSP and have a drawing setup it should be doable. Check with the LISP gurus for more help, I am slow and have not LISPed in a few years.

You will need a lisp to accomplish this, I think if you set alanjt's lisp to load with ACADDOC.LSP and have a drawing setup it should be doable. Check with the LISP gurus for more help, I am slow and have not LISPed in a few years.
Alan's solution will not update styles already in an existing drawing, it only ensures the open drawing has a definition of the desired style. It will not apply all the settings you desire. I would personally use the DC (or preferably a palette). While this is not automatic it is only a few mouse clicks.

i think this is an old thrend but could u not run a script to restore the particular dim style you want current with -dimstyle command

its a very new thread, and now its tomorrow I was going to suggest a script to set all the dim* vars which would run on each drawing opened.

:D

Edited by dbroada

OK, having had a little play this morning I don't think this is a trivial task. Whatever means I use to bring in a new dim style I cannot find a way to update an existing named style with a modified one with the same name. If you pull in a dim style, either by palette, design center or by inserting a file you get the new styles but if that style already existed the old definitions remain.

One solution is to run a script/lisp to ensure every DIM* variable is set to your required setting. This can then be saved to an new style (this will have to be done in lisp as there are different arguments whether the style exists or not). This will automatically update any existing dimensions of that style. All dimensions can then be set to the current style. You may need to then update all dimensions to ensure older dimensions pick up the new style (I don't know about this stage, I couldn't be bothered to test it.)

Oh and your script may need changing at every release as the list of DIM* vars continues to change.

Having said all that, I think this is a dangerous thing to run automatically on every drawing. It would mean if you opened a drawing from an outside company all their dimensions would also be converted. Fine if their standards exactly match yours but what if their drawing was in inches and yours is in meters. You wouldn't have a clue what the dimensions should really be.