Extend two lines until they intersect

ggodwin

I am wondering if there is a function that takes two lines that are not parrallel and will extend them until they intersect?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ggodwin

• f700es

• dbroada

• Glen1980

Top Posters In This Topic

type "F" right-click (or enter) then type "R" and right-click (or enter) type "0" and right-click (or enter) then select (single left-click) both lines.

To save time redoing the readius each time I have set up a button on my menu with a macro (all the commands needed in one line) to start the command, set the radius then set the command to multiple.

CUI->Create a new command (lower left of the dialogue, its a yellow star with an asterisk). Then on the right hand side give the command a name (mine is Fillet 0) then put this in the macro line:

^C^Cf;r;0;;;f;u

Then go back to the lower left box and drag that command into the top left box either in your quick access toolbar (along the top) or into a ribbon or toolbar. I have also amended fillet icon for the menu bar.

If you don't use it all that often you can just start the fillet command with F then press shift to temporarily override the radius to 0.

If you don't want the lines to join; make sure you have EDGEMODE set to 1. Start Extend, select both lines, hit Enter and select both lines.

I didn't think that the lines would join, when filleted, if they were both ordinary lines.

If one or both were polylines, then filleting them would join them.

I didn't think that the lines would join, when filleted, if they were both ordinary lines.

You're right, I just assume that everyone uses PLines :)

you don't have to set the R=0. If you hold down the shift key when selecting the second line it will be filleted with R=0 automatically.

you don't have to set the R=0. If you hold down the shift key when selecting the second line it will be filleted with R=0 automatically.

excellent!

after playing with this i notice you only need to press shift if you have a radius set

i.e. radius = 0 you just enter command FILLET and click the lines. done.

To save time redoing the readius each time I have set up a button on my menu with a macro (all the commands needed in one line) to start the command, set the radius then set the command to multiple.

CUI->Create a new command (lower left of the dialogue, its a yellow star with an asterisk). Then on the right hand side give the command a name (mine is Fillet 0) then put this in the macro line:

^C^Cf;r;0;;;f;u

Then go back to the lower left box and drag that command into the top left box either in your quick access toolbar (along the top) or into a ribbon or toolbar. I have also amended fillet icon for the menu bar.

If you don't use it all that often you can just start the fillet command with F then press shift to temporarily override the radius to 0.

^^^ This is my way of thinking. Lets see if I can get the macro to work now.

Fillet r=0 works on lines/plines and arcs in AutoCAD 2011 and is best method for intersecting two lines/plines and arcs at apparent intersection.

With Edgemode = 1 you can EXTEND to apparent intersection, also. This is best if you only want one line/pline to extend to apparent intersection.

Wow, I didn't know that!!! Dang, learn something new all the time.

Thanks Dave :)

in fairness Glen1980 did mention it in his first post but I didn't spot it until after I had posted mine. :)

on an aside - I keep getting emails telling me that it has been "Tip of the Day", lots of times - I guess that means I am not the only one who doesn't look daily.

in fairness Glen1980 did mention it in his first post but I didn't spot it until after I had posted mine. :)

In fairness, I learnt (or is it learned?) it from one of your previous posts Dave!!

In fairness, I learnt (or is it learned?) it from one of your previous posts Dave!!
oh good, I can continue to feel smug o:)