Script to change drawing UNITS

I am trying to creat a script....

I'm sure it is easy but to my novice brain I can't get it to work.

I simply want to change a drawings units to millimeters and not rescale anything.

I have tried -units but it doesn't give the option to change the actuall Drawing Units:

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Greg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gsteel

• SEANT

• SLW210

• ahyin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have renamed and relocated your thread to a better location for related responses.

Try checking "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page.

All you do when creating a script is invoke a command on the command line and answer the prompts. Where are you hanging up?

Command: -units
Report formats:      (Examples)

1.  Scientific      1.55E+01
 2.  Decimal         15.50
 3.  Engineering     1'-3.50"
 4.  Architectural   1'-3 1/2"
 5.  Fractional      15 1/2

With the exception of Engineering and Architectural formats,
these formats can be used with any basic unit of measurement.
For example, Decimal mode is perfect for metric units as well
as decimal English units.

Enter choice, 1 to 5 <4>:

Enter denominator of smallest fraction to display
(1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256) <32>:

Systems of angle measure:      (Examples)

1.  Decimal degrees           45.0000
 2.  Degrees/minutes/seconds   45d0'0"
 3.  Grads                     50.0000g
 4.  Radians                   0.7854r
 5.  Surveyor's units          N 45d0'0" E

Enter choice, 1 to 5 <1>:
Enter number of fractional places for display of angles (0 to  <2>:

Direction for angle 0.00:
  East    3 o'clock  =  0.00
  North  12 o'clock  =  90.00
  West    9 o'clock  =  180.00
  South   6 o'clock  =  270.00
Enter direction for angle 0.00 <0.00>:

Measure angles clockwise? [Yes/No] <N>

Maybe you are wanting to change your Dimensions instead?

If you want to change the physical drawing from one that is 1 = 1 inch, 1 = 1 foot, 1 = 1mm, 1 = 1cm, 1 = 1m to another then rescaling the drawing is your only option.

If you have drawn in model space at 1-1 then its should only be a matter of selecting the correct scale when printing or saving your drawing shouldnt it ?

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have hundreds of drawings I have received. Many of them have the units set to inches, so I have to type UNITS and set it to millimeters, I am hoping to create a script to automate this process as well as setting a few other pararmeter but I can't get the units bit to work.

-units does not let me change the 'Drawing Units'

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have hundreds of drawings I have received. Many of them have the units set to inches, so I have to type UNITS and set it to millimeters, I am hoping to create a script to automate this process as well as setting a few other pararmeter but I can't get the units bit to work.

-units does not let me change the 'Drawing Units'

Yes it does. You just do not understand what drawing units "ARE" and "ARE NOT".

I have renamed and relocated your thread to a better location for related responses.

Try checking "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page.

All you do when creating a script is invoke a command on the command line and answer the prompts. Where are you hanging up?

Command: -units
Report formats:      (Examples)

1.  Scientific      1.55E+01
 2.  Decimal         15.50
 3.  Engineering     1'-3.50"
 4.  Architectural   1'-3 1/2"
 5.  Fractional      15 1/2

With the exception of Engineering and Architectural formats,
these formats can be used with any basic unit of measurement.
For example, Decimal mode is perfect for metric units as well
as decimal English units.

Enter choice, 1 to 5 <4>:

Enter denominator of smallest fraction to display
(1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256) <32>:

Systems of angle measure:      (Examples)

1.  Decimal degrees           45.0000
 2.  Degrees/minutes/seconds   45d0'0"
 3.  Grads                     50.0000g
 4.  Radians                   0.7854r
 5.  Surveyor's units          N 45d0'0" E

Enter choice, 1 to 5 <1>:
Enter number of fractional places for display of angles (0 to  <2>:

Direction for angle 0.00:
  East    3 o'clock  =  0.00
  North  12 o'clock  =  90.00
  West    9 o'clock  =  180.00
  South   6 o'clock  =  270.00
Enter direction for angle 0.00 <0.00>:

Measure angles clockwise? [Yes/No] <N>

Maybe you are wanting to change your Dimensions instead?

If you want to change the physical drawing from one that is 1 = 1 inch, 1 = 1 foot, 1 = 1mm, 1 = 1cm, 1 = 1m to another then rescaling the drawing is your only option.

http://help.autodesk.com/kb/display.do?ROW_ID=1-GQC-870

I have in my current drawing a building that is 60'-0" (as dimensioned) or "as drawn" it is 720 DRAWING UNITS because I drew with 1 DRAWING UNIT to equal 1 INCH (60 x 12 = 720). Unless I rescale it the actual drawing will always be 720 DRAWING UNITS.

Perhaps we are suffering from a terminology problem. Gsteel, are you simply wishing to convert a drawing done in inches to millimeters? In other words, if you have a dimension that says 1" you want it to say 25.4mm, right? There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to go to the format menu, down to dimension style. Then pick one and click modify. Click on the tab that says "alternate units". Once that is done, look for "display alternate units" and put a check in the box. hit ok, then "set current" and "close". Any dimensions on your drawing using that dimension style will then display the imperial and the metric numbers.

If you want only the metrics, instead of clicking on the "alternate units" tab, click on "primary units". Down near the middle of the dialog box you'll see "measurement scale" with a box that says "scale factor". Enter 25.4 there and your dims will be in millimeters instead of inches.

Ok maybe I am being a bit thick here..... :?

I have drawing all drawn at 1:1 scale in model space. Under the UNITS command they are all set to inches and I want them as mm. I can do it manuallt by typing UNITS and selecting mm from the first drop down (Drawing Units). It then asks me if I want to rescale the drawing and I say no. I have hundred of these to do I was simply hoping there was a script that would perform this automated. I am using Architecture 2011 if that is relevant.

@SLW210 - I am quite sure I am aware what a unit is thanks for the info tho.

@Jack - Our dimension come out in mm, I have a script that sets up my dims for me. thanks tho

@dbroada - I'm not sure what Vanilla is? In Autocad terms anyway :)

It is your option to refuse all the sound advise given you here, I hope you get this figured out.

In case you want to know, the answer you seek is in my original response to your question.

If you desire to be rude, then I will help you no further.

I have in no way been rude to any one please post my previous reply as proof!

In have indeen been through you first post as I have been though the help files I tried all variations and options non of which change the setting required.

I have attached a screen shot of the setting I need to change. inches to millimeters Units Dialogue.JPG

It isn't that the dimensions are coming in in inches I can get them in mm fine (As I have stated in my mysteriously removed post)

I’m not sure if Architecture 2011 goes about it differently, certainly the dialog boxes show some variation, but the command sequence below produces the changes illustrated in the images for plain AutoCAD.

Command: LUNITS

Enter new value for LUNITS : 2

Command: INSUNITS

Enter new value for INSUNITS : 4

Units.jpg

Edited by SEANT

Sorry I can't see your attachment :(
Thats odd. The image shows a before and after shot of the UNITS dialog box for AutoCAD. The box differs from the one you show for Architecture 2011, but not by much. Those two system variables are those used to change the Unit Type (Decimal, Engineering, etc.) and the "Units to scale inserted content: " (Millimeters, Inches, etc.)

I have gone through all the settings in the options and one found one glaring mistake... I have my profile set to US. metric...... I have changed it to UK metric and all seems as I need it.. all the properties etc are now showing in mm.

Sorry for wasting time but the process has got me there. Thanks for everyones help (even SLW210 :wink:)