2012 ACAD Map Locks up

Majicdobe

Hi there, I recently recieved a new computer here at work and my newly upgraded ACAD freezes up while doing the simplest tasks. I'm not wise on hardware. I am running Windows 7 and my IT can't seem to find a problem with why. She did say that she had to remove a lot of SQL SERVER files and asked if I kept loading it. I don't have admin privilages... :?? ANyway any info would be great.

Jessica

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Majicdobe

• ReMark

• Murph_map

What SQL Server files? Map3D 2012 uses some files that "look" to be SQL server files. What workspace are you using when Map3D starts up and heve you opened or used the Autodesk Infrastructure Administrator 2012 that goes with MAP3d 2012, or created a new model.

@ ReMark - yes networked, it was our IT guy that loaded it. We have 3 lisences. My supervisor runs Windows XP and hers tend to crash occasionally. Our other user hasnt had any problems, but he rarely uses acad.

@ Murph - I will have to check out the SQL names tomorrow. I am already home for the evening. One thing I noticed before I left was that the file contains a data connect shp file, however it is not on a SQL server but on a network drive and I had it turned off. I will check it out more tomorrow morning. When I first opened up ACAD it was in the planning and analysis wkspce, I use the acad classic wkspce with the toolbars. I don't like the ribbons. I'm not sure about the Autodesk Infrastructure Admin 2012 I don't think Ive created a new model. Is that the same as creating a new workspace? because I did do that initionally, but one of the times i locked up the computer the next time opening ACAD up ALL my command icons were gone and there were no wkspce available so I had to go to cuiload and find them.

Does that help ya'll, help me?

I froze up the computer 7 times yesterday and 4 today. I can't get anything done. Also, I have to reboot the computer everytime, it won't let me do the ctrl, alt, delete (Task manager).

We are talking a networked version of the program then right?

Who did the installation?

Good morning, Yes, I'm on a network and Our IT loaded it

What SQL Server files? Map3D 2012 uses some files that "look" to be SQL server files. What workspace are you using when Map3D starts up and heve you opened or used the Autodesk Infrastructure Administrator 2012 that goes with MAP3d 2012, or created a new model.

Good morning, I'm not sure which files she was referring to. I am using the AutoCAD Classic workspace. I havent used the Autodest Infrastructure Admin but it is loaded.

You're using Windows 7. What version? Is it the Home Edition or Professional or Ultimate?

Are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit computer? Is Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit? Is Map 3D 32-bit or 64-bit?

Does the problem happen in any drawing you work on or just a particular drawing?

Do you work right off the network or do you first copy the drawing to your desktop?

Have you tried disconnecting from the network and running Map 3D?

The whole system is brand new. Windows 7 Professional. 64-bit computer. Since I went from a 32-bit to a 64-bit I'm guessing that IT loaded everything @ 64-bit. I can ask them though. I have only been working on one drawing so I'm not sure if it occurs in other drawings, I will check that out. I work off the network. No I havent tried disconnecting.

I will be back in touch with you.

Do you have any other information on your computer you can share with us? Amount of RAM? Type of video card? Amount of videoRAM on the card?

Are you running an antivirus program in the background while working in Map 3D? What other programs are running?

I have an intel® Core™ i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20 GHz, 24.0 GB RAM, not sure about video card.

yes on the antivirus we have Trend Micro but it keeps turning itself off???

I found out that IT reloaded the acad map 2012 last night and then loaded the service pack this morning. It still froze up while streching a line with the grip. man oh man talk about unproductive...

Last night IT reloaded my ACAD and she said they went ahead and loaded the Autodesk Infrastructure Admin along with everything else on the disc, I guess. What help is that? What do I do with it? :unsure:

Jessica

24GB of RAM? Smokin'! Well, not in your case because the program is giving you problems. Ask IT if they also downloaded and installed any and all updates and/or hotfixes for 2012 as well.

24GB of RAM? Smokin'! Well, not in your case because the program is giving you problems. Ask IT if they also downloaded and installed any and all updates and/or hotfixes for 2012 as well.

right... :)

She says she has.

We are going to get the provider to come out and look at it.

Thanks

well there are 2 other people in the office that have upgraded to Map 2012. One user hasnt had any problems with it and the other user has had some freeze ups as well and her operating system is windows XP - 64-bit. The guy with no problems has the same system as I do. Its a mystrey...

Last night IT reloaded my ACAD and she said they went ahead and loaded the Autodesk Infrastructure Admin along with everything else on the disc, I guess. What help is that? What do I do with it? :unsure:

Jessica

The Autodesk Infrastructure Admin is a tool that you use to build data models or setup the database rules with. Think of it as the database template.

Take a look at the selectionpreview settings and compare them to the other users. Make sure the users temp folder gets cleaned out every so often. Did you migrate any settings (profiles, workspaces, etc) from older versions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. Well I had to go out of town for a family emergency and before I left I asked IT to take a closer look into my computer problems. I have returned and it still freezes up to where I have to reboot the whole machine. I have narrowed it down to when I want to strech a line with the grip that it locks up. Sometimes after I reboot the machine and go straight to open ACAD it will stop/freeze before ACAD is fully loaded. IT said that they reloaded my WIndows 7 in "classic" mode along with loading Acad map 3D 2012 in "classic" mode. Thats all I got...:(

Did you buy this system off the shelf or did IT cobble it together for you?

Based on your specs the computer should have absolutely no problem running Windows 7 with all the bells and whistles enabled.

I'd wipe the hard drive and reload Win7 and an antivirus program (Windows Essentials). Then I would load Map 3D 2012. That's it period. No other programs including AutoDesk Infrastructure Admin. Test it. What happens? And do not connect to the company network.

Are you on Subscription?

Edited by ReMark

I have narrowed it down to when I want to strech a line with the grip that it locks up. ...:(

A line or a polyline? If it's a polyline(pline) make sure the property palette in NOT opened/displayed.