trouble attaching dimensions to object in paperspace

hi!

i'm not sure if i'm doing this right. i have a little drawing in modelspace. in paperspace, i have a viewport. let's say it's set at 1/4" = 1'-0". everything looks okay so far.

but now lets say i want to change the scale of my drawing. i change it from 1/4" to 1/2" = 1'-0". my drawing gets bigger, but the dimensions stay the same size and position. they're no longer attached to anything on my drawing.

and it continues like that, when i change my scale, the dimensions change to whatever the last scale was at, so that they're never synced up.

what's going on, here?!

It depends on how you are changing the scale of the VP. If you use Zoom, 1/24xp then the dims will follow (or do this through the toolbar VIEWPORTS and select the scale from there. Try adding some new dims and then try it that way.

If you use the annotative scale pull down then it doesn't seem to work.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• davesec

• eyde

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think we would want to steer people away from using the old Zoom > Scale > nXP scale factor method of setting a viewport's scale. Personally, I have never had a problem changing a viewport scale from the pull down, Properties, Quick Properties, Viewport toolbar or from the icon in the Taskbar.

I would think we would want to steer people away from using the old Zoom > Scale > nXP scale factor method of setting a viewport's scale. Personally, I have never had a problem changing a viewport scale from the pull down, Properties, Quick Properties, Viewport toolbar or from the icon in the Taskbar.

The Zoom > Scale > nXP was just to illustrate that I wasn't changing the viewport scale through the annotation toolbar. Nothing wrong with people being aware of another way to do things, and no I don't think "we" need to steer people away from knowing how to do things manually. Really helps when writing scripts, macros, lisps to know what is behind the menu choices, don't you think?

I haven't had a problem using those either, but using one method keeps the dims following the model and one doesn't, so I was just trying to be clear.

Personally, I find the old method (nXP) is somewhat more difficult to explain to a newbie. Some of us (not me!) had plenty of practice dealing with scale factors in our careers so it wasn't a big deal. Agreed: nothing wrong with mentioning there is more than one way to handle the situation.

hi!

new question.. if i go to the view tab, tool palette, i have a bunch of good annotation blocks or symbols or something that i can use.. so i click on some (drawing title, callout bubble, section callout, etc) and dot them around my viewport in paperspace.

is there a way to have these thing annotative as well so that they shrink/enlarge with the drawing? how do i edit the size to begin with?

i just dropped a handful of them into model space.. first off, they're still huge. double clicking them lets me edit the information, but not the size. any ideas how to change this?

also some of the blocks just don't show up in paper space on occasion.

the graphic scale i think is definitely suppose to be in paper space, because dropping it into model space it's tiny and doesn't match to the scale.

eyde - what disadvantages are there to having annotative dimensions/leaders in paperspace? i kind of like it so far, actually!

There are no advantages I can think of to having annotative dimensions and leaders in paper space since they do not appear in any of the scaled viewports.

Unless all your viewports are going to have the exact same scale why would you put the Graphic Scale dynamic block in your layout? Does not make much sense to me.

As a test I started a new drawing, went to my Tool Palettes > Annotation and inserted one of every dynamic block (imperial units) in my drawing. None of them came in "huge". Now, if by chance I mistakenly insert a metric dynamic block into my imperial units drawing then it does indeed come in way bigger than required. You need to pay closer attention to what you are selecting or you are going to create problems for yourself.