how do I join the lines that form a cube, not solid. I need single cubic line-object

turboCAD

hello!

I drew a cube using polylines by changing ucs.

I want to join the polylines so that the cube contour becomes one single object.

Since the lines are in different planes I can not join them.

How could I unite those 12 lines so they become a cube non solid(I plan on placing a sphere inside some of the cubes and then use "shade" for visualization so if the cube is solid I won't see the spheres).

Thank you!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• turboCAD

• ReMark

• Bogbadbob658

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could have just as easily created surfaces using lines.

If you can't see inside the cubes what is the point of putting a sphere inside?

Try drawing a square in plan using a polyline. Copy it form 0,0,0 to 0,0,x where x is the length of the side. Change the ucs to an isometric view (doesn't matter which one). Make sure you have snap end on and then draw ploylines from corner to corner to complete the cube.

If it has to be a solid then draw a box then extrude it. Now shell the resultant solid. You can put your sphere inside the box before or after you have executed the SHELL command (Solid Editing panel).

the sphere is circumscribed by the cube made from lines NOT solid cube(the cube is just a frame I use for aligning the spheres).

sphere+cubical frame around it form an atom that I will use repeatedly

That is why I need the cube to be made only out of lines that do not mask any spheres.

Group the lines

or

make the cube solid and apply transparent texture.

reading the clarification of your problem description you then might block the sphere and group.

I need the cube to be one continuous polyline block made of its 12 individual lines so that it is easy to copy/paste and I do not have to select each of the 12 lines separately

"...so if the cube is solid I won't see the spheres)."

"That is why I need the cube to be made only out of lines that do not mask any spheres"

These two statements seem to be at odds with each other. How did you expect to shade the cubes so the spheres could not be seen?

I kept the solid cube and made it 8/9 transparent but then I thought that if I have 9 cubes overlapping they might hide a sphere so I made it 90 transparent.

Thank you all very much, especially JD Mather !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37890[/ATTACH]

Sphere within a cube comprised of 12 individual polylines. Count them...I color coded them for you.

do the 12 lines move as one? if I click one, do all 12 light up?

if so,how did you do it?

it is exactly what I was looking for

Yes they move as one because I created a block.

that is it!

thank you , ReMark!

in case anyone else is reading this while trying to solve the same inconvenience:

-group the lines in a block,like ReMark suggested:

- select the lines/parts you are interested in joining/uniting, properties, set: color,linetype,lineweight by block(default is `by layer`)

- type "block " in the command line(http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_2/2-2.htm)

-give the block a name (

)

- press "pick point" I picked the center of the cube by also drawing its diagonal, then units: unitless,

-press "select objects": select the lines , select "scale uniformly "

now,you should have a block made of all the lines you have selected.

The real key to the puzzle was JDM's solution re: transparency. My "block" suggestion was a "no-brainer". I'm happy to hear you have achieved the result you were looking for. :)

Create a solid cube, then with 3dpolylines draw the skeleton snapping to end points, finally erase the cube solid.

I like the way you think rkent!

A very straight ahead analog approach, with no residual 3D Solids, nor visibility manipulations required. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

I like the way you think rkent!

A very straight ahead analog approach, with no residual 3D Solids, nor visibility manipulations required. :beer:

All right!

this also worked and it was the fastest way; 3d polylines must be open(not loops: I drew a square with one continuous PL instead of four individual ones and it could not be 'joined' with the others because it was a closed contour), that is the only limitation. After that,you can freely join them regardless of the plane they are in .

So,

Thank you rkent and Dadgad !

Actually,it did not work: it did not unite all the lines: one could not be joined.

I tried again and it did not work.

Edited by turboCAD