Basic 3D Modelling Tips & Trick advise

PotGuy

Hi all,

Doing an apprenticeship as a CAD techie for 'bout 2 months (On AUTOCad, as you may guess!) and was wondering if anyone would suggest any useful basic tips and tricks when working on 3D. :unsure:

I'm comfortable when working 2D, so that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In ModelSpace, start the Viewports command, toggle the Setup to 3D (lower center), now to start try the Three:Left choice in the left hand box, pick OK. It is easier to work in 3D if you have several views to follow so you aren't working away from the model.

Next you will need to become very familiar with manipulating the UCS. So start with the UCS command and look at the options at the command line. The option OB will let you select an object to move and align the UCS to. The option X, or Y or Z will let you specify an angle to rotate the UCS so you can align that to a plane you might want to work on.

Notice the DUCS button at the bottom of the screen, this is DYNAMIC UCS. You may want that on at least most of the time as it will align the UCS for you as you work. Sometimes it gets in the way, so just toggle that off when needed.

Also, look to the upper left of each viewport, you will see choices for views and for visual styles, pick on one or the other and choices pop down letting you change those easily right there.

Turn the Ribbon on if it isn't already and start the 3D Modeling Ribbon, start learning the commands located there.

PressPull (and Extrude) will be the two most basic commands you will be using for solid modeling.

Good luck.

Edited by rkent

Try starting with the Help file. They have a pretty descriptive overview of your basic 3D creation procedures.

Link here: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WSfacf1429558a55de1a7524c1004e616f8b-2cc6.htm

As for some advice, I would stay away from mesh modeling for now. Just stick with solid modeling. As you get pretty comfortable, you can try some more advanced commands. Also, get used to altering the UCS a lot (moving, rotating, etc). This will help you realign the 3D space to make things work easier for you.

Next step will be to render your 3D models. This is usually what people are after eventually. We have some good threads in here that give you basics in the approach on how to render scenes that can look pretty realistic.

Final step, get comfortable here and always come here to ask questions. Lots of people are very generous in their time and knowledge. :)

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Got a bit of downtime, so I'll get to it.

Cheers!

EDIT: I'll be watching this post quite often, so feel free to add to this if you have something!

Edited by PotGuy

Yeah, just get in there and start playing. I am working on a side project at the moment where I am trying to use ACAD's surface tools. Lot's to learn.

... It is easier to work in 3D if you have several views to follow so you aren't working away from the model....

For an alternate viewpoint on this - I never work in multiple views. Not in AutoCAD, not in any CAD program.

Get a good understanding of DUCS and UCS.

No, and yes...?

What's the process for Pebbling..and are channels the lines that run around the circumference of the B? If so, I think I improvised! (Used V. thin Cylinders, matched the diameter of BB with Cyclinder and extended thurther out so it pokes out of ball; repeat to and bottom of BB, then rotate middle, repeat.)

BB.jpg

So, how would I go about attaching a material to a rounded...or flat surface?

I know there's going to be a MUCH easier way than what I'm 'bout to say, but because my BB is only 1mm in diameter (Ant sized!)then could I just array 0.0(0)1mm sphere's around the BB using a Polar array? maybe 0.1mm increments?

EDIT: Scratch that, used materials to emulate a BB material. Still, how can I create a 'rough' texture to it? :unsure:

I cannot answer your question re: material on a rounded surface as I do not use materials in my 3D models. In my line of work there isn't much call for rendering 3D models.

Re: Array. I used that same approach when I tried replicating the knurling on a pin vise I modeled once. I hope you have a half-way decent computer.

The computer good, thanfully!

I'm in Temp. Works, but it's good to have practise in 3D as people do call for it occasionaly.

Cheers for all the help!

EDIT: When it's completed eventually, would anyone be interested in seeing what it looks like...maybe with it taking up less of the screen?

Cheers. I can only work on it during lunch and when there's a lull in work, so it may not around for a while.

Thanks for the support!

Sorry for double post, but the BB is up on Showcase!

As mentioned on there, all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Edited by PotGuy