Font sizes vary dramatically

dirtychinchilla

Morning all,

Just thinking through it, I may have solved my own problem, but I shall explain it anyway.

Basically, I have one text size in the model space, say 20, and one text size in the paperspace, say 0.008. These are dramatically different. I assume that the reason is due to scale, because your model could be enormous etc, and therefore it makes sense to have such a small font size in the model space.

The problem I'm really having is that I use the same dimstyle in the model space as in the paper space because sometimes I will dimension in the model space and sometimes in the paper space.

Is there a good way to get this kind of thing to work nicely? I end up doing, for example, a leader line in the model space, and the text is about 1000 times too big!

Any advice in this respect would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

dirtychinchilla

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirtychinchilla

• ReMark

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dimension in one space or the other...not both.

If you dimension in model space and utilize a layout for your title block and border along with viewports then use annotative scaling.

If you dimension in your layout be sure your dimensions are "associative" which is NOT the same as annotative.

OK, I shall do that, thank you very much.

I would generally just dimension in the paper space because, for some reason, I think it looks nicer. However, I've been reproducing all our 2D drawings in 3D and am making sure all the images used are coloured, and therefore am avoiding using flatshot, which we would have used previously, along with exploding the flatshots, to dimension drawings in the model space.

So is it possible to dimension properly in the model space? I normally end up with something like 0.21 instead of a dimension of 1000, for example.

As far as you know? Why wouldn't you know?

Do you have your title block and border in a layout? Yes or no?

If the answer is 'yes' then the only way you will see the objects you created back in model space would be if you were using paper space viewports which are not the same as model space viewports.

I wasn't 100% sure on what you were asking exactly. I do have a title block, yes.

I had no idea that there was a difference between paper space and model space viewports.

Sorry, I'll give you a little more information to make it clear! I have an essentially empty drawing in front of me. there is a model tab and a layout tab. In the layout tab I have my layout with title block and border, which contains three viewports which show items in the model space. In the model space I have a schematic diagram and a model, and nothing else, which are visible, via the viewports, in the paper space.

Quite frankly, not a great deal. I am aware of annotative scaling, but apart from having annotative enabled on text, I don't really know what it does. The bits I've read about it basically say annotative scaling is annotative scaling, and that's it :P

Is there any reason, by the way, why text appears bolder in the model space than it does in the paper space in the respect that I could be using the same font, bold or not, and it always looks very bold in the model space.

That would explain why you are having such problems.

Did you draw your your "model" to full scale or did you draw it "to scale" like one would do on a drafting board?

What size paper will you be plotting to?

What scale (or scales) will you likely be using in your layout to depict the model?

It's generally A3 paper. There is no specified scale. Generally I will be drawing bits of pipework just as a visual for clients and to show how the parts go together, so no scale is needed. I'd imagine, however, that they are generally about 1:10.

No scale?

Then I would not bother with putting your dimensions in model space and going through the trouble of using annotative scaling. Put your text and dimensions in your layout.

I'd recommend a standard text height of 2.5mm.

Scale is simply not needed for what we do!!

I have been doing exactly that, but I end up having to override all the dimensions because they come up as something like 0.21 mm in the paper space when they are actually about a 1000 mm.

I heard you the first time. Try to remain calm.

Text size in a paper space layout is supposed to be done in real world size (i.e. - 1:1). 2.5mm text is standard for metric drawings.

Sorry it was an expression of shock, not of anger, don't get me wrong :) I'm shocked that we do not scale.

The issue I have with dimensioning in the paper space is that the dimensions that I get in the paper space are just totally wrong. This doesn't seem to happen if I do a flatshot, though, for some strange reason. Do you have any insight into this?

Thanks a lot for your help, very kind of you to give me some of your time :)

Well they already use one here at work so I modified it a little, but I believe it's one that my manager made for us.