Copying attribute values to another attribute

Although if you know of a way of driving the distance using an attribute as an input I would be very interested.
I guess I've only seen it done the other way, where the distance updates the field, as in this link to one of ellen's tutorials:

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/tutorial-use-fields-to-automatically-label-dynamic-blocks/

BTW, instead of REGEN, she mentions using UPDATEFIELD, which is probably a lot faster for most drawings.

No, just the lower attribute (that is linked to the upper one) so that people don't overwrite the linked data.
If I understand correctly, you'd like a way to lock out or override any direct editing of the driven (linked) attribute by doing something you call positioning. Is that right? I don't know a way of doing this, but I did notice this might be a potential problem, one of the reasons I asked about method of editing. You could always make empty threats.;)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sora

• neophoible

• steven-g

• dbroada

yes, getting the distance displayed is relatively trivial, I do it all the time in my terminal array blocks.

for the size of my drawings a regen is sufficient - I have never tried an update field.

and finally, that is correct. I am almost tempted to put in a couple of hidden attributes just to seperate them in the list. :)

This seems a pretty good fit for third line of sig. Thanks for such a classic example.:lol::P (WIYDKICNGTTY)

You're wrong again because I told you everything I could and even showed it in the block I posted. Except how to accomplish what steven-g did. You obviously have difficulties understanding english, you just don't read my posts or you're a simpleton even amongst simple people. In any case I'm not gonna waste my time with you anymore.

yes, getting the distance displayed is relatively trivial, I do it all the time in my terminal array blocks.

for the size of my drawings a regen is sufficient - I have never tried an update field.

and finally, that is correct. I am almost tempted to put in a couple of hidden attributes just to seperate them in the list. :)

I did try the UPDATEFIELD and it looked like it may have just done the entire drawing, though I didn't have many fields to be updated. It is an option, but steven-g may have had reasons for doing the REGEN instead. He would have to weigh in on that.

Maybe having the extra links with hidden attributes isn't such a bad idea. It's very hard to make things foolproof, but that might do the trick. I can see it being tempting. I'd like to see the results, if you happen to go for it.

I did try the UPDATEFIELD and it looked like it may have just done the entire drawing, though I didn't have many fields to be updated. It is an option, but steven-g may have had reasons for doing the REGEN instead. He would have to weigh in on that.

I have an excellent reason for doing a regen. I have remapped my escape key to do both regen and save which is probably belts and braces, but it is something I started doing years ago on a system that kept crashing and loosing my work, I suppose I should change that now. I'm interested in looking at dave's ideas when I get back behind autocad tommorrow.

You obviously have difficulties understanding english, you just don't read my posts or you're a simpleton even amongst simple people. In any case I'm not gonna waste my time with you anymore.

That is not called for. Understanding each other is very hard sometimes, Everybody here tries their best to help, and we can only use smileys to show that comments are meant to be taken as friendly in nature.

If you could please explain how you created it step by step because I would love to be able to do that.

I would appreciate any comments on the content

Combine attributes using fields part(1).pdf

Even better than I expected. Well done. Easy to follow and really well done. Great that you went to such lengths. No way to misunderstand the instructions.

You're wrong again because I told you everything I could and even showed it in the block I posted. Except how to accomplish what steven-g did. You obviously have difficulties understanding english, you just don't read my posts or you're a simpleton even amongst simple people. In any case I'm not gonna waste my time with you anymore.
No, Sora, it really was not called for. That’s n00b talk. I hope you will read the following and reconsider your attitude. But even if you won’t and don’t, I hope others might learn constructively from the following comments.

When an OP asks for help, he may think he has explained his problem well enough to be solved by those giving free help, especially if he is new. A large portion of the time, this OP thinking is incorrect. This was the case here. While one would hope the OP knows what he means, it does not follow that others will. Very often they don’t. Part of the problem may be that the language the OP used is confusing, not technically accurate, as was pointed out in this case near the beginning. Your very first response to an inquiry was to grudgingly meet the request. You were wrong in your thinking, and you were wrong to give it grudgingly, but at least you gave the information. A much better response would have been, “Sorry. I thought I’d provided enough info the first time. Here you go.” It would have been even better if you had included your example the very first time with words to the effect, “I’ve attached a block with attributes that I’m trying to make interactive….”

Then, the OP may not have enough experience to know all the possibilities that can be associated with the problem or the solution. This is almost a given, unless the OP knows the subject thoroughly. But most likely, even the gurus here are still learning, let alone those less experienced. When I asked how you planned to edit the attributes, you acted like you had no idea what that question could possibly mean, even though I was using your own words. So, I made it crystal clear and your response was, “I hope you know how attributes are used.” That’s about as close to, “Well, if you don’t know, I’m certainly not going to tell you!” as it gets. Of course I know a lot about attributes, perhaps more than you, especially when it comes to editing them. And maybe that’s the problem. If you only know one way, then maybe the question is strange to you. But instead of being rude and responding like a n00b, you could simply say, “Well, the only way I know how is to…,” and then state what that way is. And then you might add, “Why do you ask?” However, if you know more than one way, then you really had no excuse at all. In that case, you should have answered the first time asked, without all the negativity.

Finally, most everyone knows that these forums are searched by a lot of people looking for solutions to their CAD problems. Yet, when they ask a question they may forget this momentarily and see it as personal, just for them. So, when you share more information about the problem, it can help a lot of other people who may come along later. Thus, even if you think something isn’t going to help you, you might consider that it might help others, maybe even a guru, who may benefit from your situation, knowledge and experience. Be willing to give a little, not just take.

In my first post I say I want to create "a string of text". Umm... does that have a double meaning to somebody? Then I talk about attributes whose values I would change except the last one. So a text and attributes are involved. To me it clearly tells that a block will have to be made. Sure I could've told which one of the attributes are invisible but again "a string of text". Ring any bells? After I provided the block you definitely had everything you needed. If you just open the drawing and check that there was some text but did not look into it then of course it's no help. If you had any knowledge, of course you would check what is in the text. So now you know what is in the text and I said that I want to edit "a string of text" by changing the attributes... Even if you knew a thousand things about attributes, there's absolutely no reason to ask "how are you planning to edit the attributes?" Unless you thought that I knew how to make the attributes do what steven-g accomplished. If I knew that then I wouldn't be asking, now would I?

“I hope you know how attributes are used.” Duh... a statement. As in "I hope you know what you are doing" or "I hope you don't get hurt". Very simple english I think. If you don't know how to use attributes then say so. How am I supposed to know that you don't know something when I can't see your face and even if I did, I'm not a mind reader. So again it does not have anything to do with “Well, if you don’t know, I’m certainly not going to tell you!” I hope I was clear enough so that everybody understood that. If you don't, seriously go look in the mirror and stay there for a long time.

My aim was never to school anyone. All I needed was that the people, who know how to create that which I wanted, to understand. This is why I did not go into great details because there is no need. Obviously we are here to share information. That can be achieved by the answerer explaining what he did. If you're here just to make many posts and waste time and space like certain someone then you can be as thorrow as possible in every message. That means also those who seek information need to go through millions of pages. There's no sense in that. Again another example of certain someones great thinking abilities.

Oh yeah calling me a noob. XD Is that supposed to hurt? Yes, I have better things to do than hanging around forums all the time. Usually information can be found by other means. This was a rare situation where I had to register into a forum to find information.

If you saw negativity in my posts that was completely unintended. Except when I was answering this certain dimwit. It's true that the words could have been put into a more neat package since the only thing you can see is text.

Edited by Sora

Well, I wasn't actually calling or labeling anyone a n00b, just saying that certain ways of communicating do resemble how a n00b would do it. After reading this, I really think that a major part of the problem is the OP is just not using AutoCAD terms as carefully and technically as he thinks, or would have us think, and it just leads to confusion and frustration. I'm for closing this thread, if need be. I think I understand well enough now to just stay out of the OP's way and just let others handle it, if he ever needs to inquire again.

Another sign of a narrow mind. He can only understand something if the terms are technically correct. If something is explained to him in other words, he has no idea what's being said. So this is what a "guru" is. I always thought that it meant something else. Thank you for enlightening me.

I happen to know that there are people, who don't care much about technical terms and such. They only use the program and use it very well. People who are these so called noobs, as this certain person wants to call them, might also be looking for information in different ways rather than these technical "AutoCAD terms".

I never claimed to be using Autocad terms technically correct or otherwise. I used ways of explaining which anyone should be able to understand and general terms that were actually important.

Again this dude, who replied before me, has no idea what he's talking about.

Edited by Sora