Copying attribute values to another attribute

I've been searching the net for the answer for 2 days but I just can't find one that would explain how to do what I want. So as the title explains I want to copy attribute values. I'm making a catalogue of all the reinforcements in my drawing so I need to name those reinforcements. So what I want is to make a string of text that I don't need to totally modify everytime. Something like this:

Amount of reinforcement bars - 5

Diameter of the reinforcement - 12

Division of reinforcing bars - 100

Reinforcement bars: 5-T12-k100

So the only attributes I'd edit would be the first three not the last one. So how can this be accomplished?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sora

• neophoible

• steven-g

• dbroada

Can you post a drawing showing what you mean, with examples of what you have now and what you would like to achive.

I'm a bit confused here... Are you wanting to use the same attributes multiple times and have the 5-T12-k100 come in automatically every time? If so, you want to change the default value for that particular attribute to 5-T12-k100 by using the ATTEDIT command.

Then again, after rereading your post, it sounds like you're trying to accomplish something else, like combining the first three attributes into the fourth. Let me think about this...

Sorry for not getting back earlier. I am not behind a computer with auto-cad until tomorrow.

Then again, after rereading your post, it sounds like you're trying to accomplish something else, like combining the first three attributes into the fourth. Let me think about this...

This is what confused me first, if that is the case then it isn't copying or editing. You need to use fields, but it isn,t straight forward a block can't reference itself without a bit of trickery.

As I say in my first post I want to edit the first three attributes and the fourth would then change according to the values of the three first attributes.

This is what confused me first, if that is the case then it isn't copying or editing. You need to use fields, but it isn,t straight forward a block can't reference itself without a bit of trickery.
From what I can tell so far, one attribute referencing others in a block is not available via fields. Sora, how were you planning on editing these blocks?

From what I can tell so far, one attribute referencing others in a block is not available via fields. Sora, how were you planning on editing these blocks?

What do you mean how I'm planning to edit the blocks? Even if it's not possible via fields there is a way because I've seen a block like this. I have know idea how it can be done though.

As I say in my first post I want to edit the first three attributes and the fourth would then change according to the values of the three first attributes.

Here's kind of what I want to achieve though I think I explained it quite clearly in my first post. I don't know how to put it more simpler than that.
Yeah, that's what I thought about my question.

What do you mean how I'm planning to edit the blocks?
I think my question should be very clear, but I'll ask again anyway. Precisely what do you mean when you say you want to edit the first three? How do you plan to do this? What command, way, method, etc, in AutoCAD do you visualize doing this for you?

Even if it's not possible via fields there is a way because I've seen a block like this. I have know idea how it can be done though.
Please post this block so that we have a better idea of what you have in mind.

Yeah, that's what I thought about my question.

I think my question should be very clear, but I'll ask again anyway. Precisely what do you mean when you say you want to edit the first three? How do you plan to do this? What command, way, method, etc, in AutoCAD do you visualize doing this for you?

Please post this block so that we have a better idea of what you have in mind.

Nothing clear about your question because I've alredy explained what the block all in all is like and you can see in the dwg what it would be like. I hope you know how attributes are used. I've only seen that sort of block but I have no means of getting one. I wonder why is it so hard for you to understand what I'm lookin for? steven-g got it.

I wonder why is it so hard for you to understand what I'm lookin for? steven-g got it.

Hey don't blame me :) I didn't get it at first, still not 100% sure, just for the record it isn't copying or editing, but those are just words we use, that is why an image or drawing is worth so much more. Normally a block reference cannot reference itself, but there is a way to work around it. In the attached block there is a visibility state, and when you insert the block it asks as normal for the values of the first 3 attributes. When you are done there is a small circle on the sreen (just so you know where the block is and can select it). Now select the block and change the visibility state to "On" (by clicking on the blue triangle and selecting "On"- or in the properties palette), you will need to do a regen, but you should now see the fourth attribute populated with the values from the first 3.

Once it is in your drawing you can alter the values of the first 3 attributes, but you still need to do a regen to update the block (you don't need to turn the vis state off anymore).

Reinforcement.dwg

This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

If you could please explain how you created it step by step because I would love to be able to do that.

Let me first say this is an adaption from someone else,

steven, yet again nice block.

What is the reason for hiding the block initially?

It only "hides" the last attribute, a field cannot look at the value of an attribute in the same block as it is inserted, but doing it this way the field in that last attribute doesn't become active until you turn it on with the visibility state.

This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

If you could please explain how you created it step by step because I would love to be able to do that.

I'll try and do a step by step later.

It only "hides" the last attribute, a field cannot look at the value of an attribute in the same block as it is inserted, but doing it this way the field in that last attribute doesn't become active until you turn it on with the visibility state.
I have never tried/noticed that. I will give it a try later....

steven, yet again nice block.
Yes, steven-g, that's really nice. :thumbsup:Thanks for the explanations regarding it. So, after altering an insertion of this sort, it will take a regen to see the effects. As cool as this block is, I may just stick to editing a single line with a double click for now, though I'm certainly going to keep this in mind for future possibilities. Again, great job.:notworthy:

Nothing clear about your question because I've alredy explained what the block all in all is like and you can see in the dwg what it would be like. I hope you know how attributes are used. I've only seen that sort of block but I have no means of getting one. I wonder why is it so hard for you to understand what I'm lookin for? steven-g got it.
This seems a pretty good fit for third line of sig. Thanks for such a classic example.:lol::P (WIYDKICNGTTY)

Yes, steven-g, that's really nice. :thumbsup:Thanks for the explanations regarding it. So, after altering an insertion of this sort, it will take a regen to see the effects. As cool as this block is, I may just stick to editing a single line with a double click for now, though I'm certainly going to keep this in mind for future possibilities. Again, great job.:notworthy:
my take on this subject, a section marker. It would be nice if I could position the second attribute in the attribute dialogue (even nicer it it didn't show up at all).

Section.dwg

my take on this subject, a section marker. It would be nice if I could position the second attribute in the attribute dialogue (even nicer it it didn't show up at all).
Are you talking about having a hidden attribute that updates the distance via a field?

Are you talking about having a hidden attribute that updates the distance via a field?
No, just the lower attribute (that is linked to the upper one) so that people don't overwrite the linked data.

Although if you know of a way of driving the distance using an attribute as an input I would be very interested.