Match properties for Text issue

I was working on one of the existing cad drawing, i came across this problem. I tried to match my Mtext with the existing text style, after M.P (match prop) everything look the same except the fonts style would not match, why is that? Does it have to be on the same layer?

Thanks

a pet hate of mine is how some people change the FONT inside MTEXT without changing the style. I would guess this is your problem here.

The easiest/quickest way to procede is to explode the MTEXT back to DTEXT but if you must have MTEXT there are some LISP files available on this site. There should be several as it is a common problem.

When you have started the command, and selected the text that you want to take properties from, then you can hit S for Settings - see if the 'Text'-box is ticked in there.

When you have started the command, and selected the text that you want to take properties from, then you can hit S for Settings - see if the 'Text'-box is ticked in there.

yes, i went to the setting and all the properties were ticked but fonts style is not the same

a pet hate of mine is how some people change the FONT inside MTEXT without changing the style. I would guess this is your problem here.

The easiest/quickest way to procede is to explode the MTEXT back to DTEXT but if you must have MTEXT there are some LISP files available on this site. There should be several as it is a common problem.

i will give that a try, for me i like to use Mtext because i can hit enter it gives me the muti line, i never use dtext? what is your preference?

you can use the command TXT2MTXT to get the Dtexts back to Mtexts when you are done.

I don't see why anyone would use Dtext when there is MText available. And remember to change the Text Style and not just the font. If I remember correctly, I think that once you have changed the font one time, you can't go back to having the text follow the Style again, is that correct? Anyone know?

i will give that a try, for me i like to use Mtext because i can hit enter it gives me the muti line, i never use dtext? what is your preference?
It depends what I am doing. My fingers default to DTEXT. Most of our wiring diagrams have a piece of text associated with one line which is used for creating wire markers. I ALWAYS do this with DTEXT. If I am doing notes I will usually use MTEXT. Ironically if I know I want "odd" fonts (ohm symbol, alpha & beta symbols) I will use MTEXT for the ability to combine fonts in a single text object! :D

you can use the command TXT2MTXT to get the Dtexts back to Mtexts when you are done.

I don't see why anyone would use Dtext when there is MText available. And remember to change the Text Style and not just the font. If I remember correctly, I think that once you have changed the font one time, you can't go back to having the text follow the Style again, is that correct? Anyone know?

I disagree, DTEXT has many advantages in certain situations.

I am not sure what you mean by "once you have changed the font one time, you can't go back to having the text follow the Style again". Each text object has a style associated with it which can be changed at will. You can re-embed font changes within MTEXT any number of times. However if you embed the font at the begining of the MTEXT object that will override the style.

I will bow to your knowledge Dave :notworthy:

What I mean is that if you change the font on a text so that it doesn't follow the style, you can't then afterwards change the font back so that it then follows the text. My recollection is that if you do change the font back to that of the style, it will still be overridden so that if you make font-changes to the style, that will not affect the changed text. You follow?

I did realise what you were saying as I was composing my answer but I was too lazy to go back and edit it. Yes, font override within an MTEXT object overrides what ever is done to the style. You cannot get back to a "ByStyle" font. If you just want one section in an alternative font you can highlight it and apply the font while the rest remains by style but if you just change fonts as you are typing you are stuck with having to change the font for any subsequent change.

Edited by dbroada
to add some clarity - I hope

So to sum it up - DON'T change the font, DO change the style! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

got it in 11. :rofl:

unfortuately too many don't do it that way.

The same is true of Word. I was trained to change the style and don't override it but I find it so much harder to get the document looking how I want that way that I do just as everybody else does, ignore the style and change fonts, spacings etc. as I go along.

Word.. *shudders* .. I would rather design quite a complex bridge complete with the gargoyles along the parapet than compose a list or a table in Word....

So to sum it up - DON'T change the font, DO change the style! :thumbsup:

I am little confuse, Are they not the same b/w font style and text style? Ex: Standard, Roman, simplex…., to change the text style I just go click on the text and go to ObJ Property then select TEXT STYLE from the drop down menu or how do you guys do it different?

The Style and Font are often called the same, which is why it is easy to make the mistake of changing the Font instead of the Style. I have tried to make a picture to illustrate, ignore that I can't spell 'this', it's too early for spelling.

DODONT.jpg

Just to add to Tiger's post, you should set up individual text styles (using the STYLE command) each with their own font. The same font can be used several times - for instance with a different width - but the style name is unique.

TextStyle.JPG

Hint - DO NOT change the height from 0 if you don't understand the consequences. A text height of 0 allows you to set the height later.