model space geometry not showing in viewports

JOSIELADY

I am trying to see my model space in paper space but nothing is there. tried creating viewports, but they are blank, tried to try different scales, still no joy? tried different layers etc, all layers are on!!

This is only happening last couple days but is same for all my drawings.

I must have changed a setting or got something very wrong?

I would love some advice on how to get my paperspace back!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JOSIELADY

• ReMark

• Tiger

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for reply, sorry I am a new cad student and do not know what is MAXACTVP?

sorry I am so ignorant! please can u let me know what this is?

Welcome to CADTutor, and Happy New Year! :)

It sounds like you have some digital flotsam floating around in modelspace,

which when you ZOOM EXTENTS is making your modelspace zoom out so far that you can't see anything.

Not because there is nothing there, but because your modelspace has been zoomed out sufficiently far to

display everything (including the odd bit) but at a seemingly subatomic scale, making it almost invisible..

Go into MODELSPACE and ZOOM EXTENTS, then enter CTRL+A, which will SELECT everything (all) in modelspace,

and their grips will display, making them easy to see.

At that point check out whatever objects are out at the perimeter of your modelspace, and if appropriate

erase any which you don't want, or relocate them acordingly. Then try ZOOM EXTENTS again, and you will probably be back in the game.

If so, then your paperspace viewports should also be good to go, just double click into any of them

and ZOOM EXTENTS, hopefully you will see what you were looking for previously.

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks. i have been stressing on this issue for too long now,after a long frustrated session I am going to turn off computer and go to bed! i am going to try your suggestion first thing tomorrow when I have a clear head.

Thanks a lot for your help, I will let you know how I go.

Thanks for reply, sorry I am a new cad student and do not know what is MAXACTVP?

sorry I am so ignorant! please can u let me know what this is?

While it could be MAXACTVP, it sounds unlikely, since the default value is 64 viewports, and I am guessing you don't have nearly that many.

Type MAXACTVP at the commandline and hit ENTER,

the number returned at the commandline will be the current setting for the variable as described in the screenshot from the SYSVDLG command.

If you want to change it, you would enter a new number. If it is 64, just leave it alone.

MAXACTVP.jpg

while it could be maxactvp, it sounds unlikely, since the default value is 64 viewports, and i am guessing you don't have nearly that many.

Type maxactvp at the commandline and hit enter,

the number returned at the commandline will be the current setting for the variable as described in the screenshot from the sysvdlg command.

If you want to change it, you would enter a new number. If it is 64, just leave it alone.

its 64...so not this issue. I am thinking of just reloading auto cad so all original settings are reinstated? Is there an easier way of just getting everything back to normal?

It is still not showing in paper space. I hae no idea what I am doing wrong. Can some one who knows what I might be doing wrong please take a look??

So, still having trouble with this.. I have re-set the setting etc, and re done my assignment from scratch. ..but cannot see my model in paper space.

2D KITCHEN PROJECTj.v.dwg

Activate your viewport (double click inside it)

Open the Layer Manager (type LAYER on the command line)

finde the VP Freeze column - it's a bit hidden, you only see VP as the heading, you can make the column wider.

All your layers are frozen in the VP, thaw them in that column and you will see them in your Viewport.

That said, you have an appliance placed a bit away from your kitchen, a dishwasher perhaps? Do a zoom extents (double click on the scroll wheel) to see the appliance and remove it. After that you can do a zoom extents in your viewport and see your whole kitchen there.

The appliance Tiger referred to is listed as a block called Fridge_Plan.

You went through the trouble to create a layer for your viewport named VPORTS but your viewport is actually on layer 0. Wouldn't you want to change that?

I see that you have specified an A4 sheet size. Is that the sheet size you will eventually be plotting to?

I see you have set your annotation scale to 1:20. Was that the scale you were planning on using for your kitchen layout? I ask because given the sheet size you are using it appears as though your viewport scale would have to be 1:30 as 1:20 would be too large.

Suggestion: Resize your viewport to its max and after setting your viewport scale make sure to lock the display so you do not inadvertently change the viewport scale as you move from paper space to model space and back. Do you know how to lock the display?

I am curious as to why your cabinetry is on a layer called JOINERY-ELEV? Your are showing a plan view not an elevation. Wouldn't you want to rename the layer or create a new layer and move the geometry over to it?

Your walls are also shown on the JOINERY-ELEV layer. The only two WALL layers you have so far are WALL-ELEV and WALL-SECT. Wouldn't you want to create a WALL-PLAN layer and put your walls on this layer?

Are you planning on creating new layouts for your elevations and sections?

I see you are using an educational version of AutoCAD. Did your instructor ask you to use the LIMITS command by any chance?

Edited by ReMark

2DKITCHEN.JPG

Upon closer inspection I found three areas, labeled A thru C in the above image, where you have some problems with your lines that you might want to correct.

Area A: You have a short line segment behind your cooktop that sits right on a line for your wall.

Area B: Your wall consists of two separate lines. I would suggest erasing the white line and extending the yellow line to the window.

Area C: You have lines that overlap right behind the counter to the left of the refrigerator. You might want to erase one of them.

Were you planning on hatching the walls at some point?

Is this an existing kitchen or new kitchen? I ask because from a design point of view the triangle formed by the refrigerator, cooktop and sink is not conducive to efficiency. I've always read that this triangle works best when the distances between the appliances and the sink are equal or close to equal. In your design it is quite the walk from the refrigerator to the sink and the cooktop.

It is still not showing in paper space. I hae no idea what I am doing wrong. Can some one who knows what I might be doing wrong please take a look??

So, still having trouble with this.. I have re-set the setting etc, and re done my assignment from scratch. ..but cannot see my model in paper space.

This serves as a classic example of how much easier it is to help if we have the .dwg file.

Sorry you felt the need to redo it, as it appears you didn't really need to.

Tiger seems to have gotten you back on the tracks. :)

RefrigInSpace.jpg

For those of you who cannot open the file this image illustrates the problem.

The oversized refrigerator is way off to the upper left in the drawing (surrounded by the white rectangle I added). The kitchen is way down in the lower right hand corner of the image (circled in red).

Rough sizes:

Refrigerator - 82446x84983

Kitchen layout - 5685x3863

My rough calculation says the errant refrigerator is over 300 times larger than the floor plan.

After getting the password from our IT guy to disable part of the company firewall I was able to open and view the drawing and the main reason for the problem was he had frozen all his layers in the viewport so nothing showed up in paper space. I skipped Tigers post because I was looking at your posts ReMark. I agree with everything you pointed out in his drawing but in the end you missed the reason as to why he posted in the first place. I don't have a problem with someone showing me a problem with my drawing but at least tell me or give me a direction to solve my problem that I posted about in the first place, I'm sure everyone here would agree. I'm not telling you to stop doing what your doing ReMark because I find your posts very informative and helpful. I can tell you have a very focused mind ReMark and when you get started on something it's hard to let go until you get it out of your system, people like you are often misunderstood and others take what you do or say as an insult or demeaning when that is not your intent. But enough about ReMark back to the OP I think the purpose of the assignment was to place blocks in the drawing in specific places. ReMark did mention this but I don't think the sink is in the right place. It should be next to the refridgerator in front of the window. Right now it is on the bar.

LayerPropMan.jpg

Josie: Click on Layout1. Open your Layer Properties Manager and make sure the sun is shining under the heading VP Freeze. Right now you have the layers frozen.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for me. I could never have worked that one out!

I wish you many good things!

Thank you , Thank you , Thankyou

Thanks for your comments, this is an intoduction to cad assignment I am doing as part of an interior design course and I am working over the hoidays for extra credit so i have no access to a tutor- so I just have to replicate what is already there, and the assignment is not yet completed as I was having trouble with the viewports I did not want to spend too long on it.

But having said that, now I know where to go to get feedback on actual drawings when I actually need to prepare for clients etc..

Since you are so knowlegable may I ask a qn. that I am stuck on- which is when to use the different file names, for example dwg. etc, are some for templates? what is the difference between them all, this seems to be overlooked in my study guide.

Cheers.

Josielady.