Problem with elevation and scaling.

provas_ce

Hi there,

i am facing problem to make change the elevation in Autocad'07. I tried "ELEV" command to done this. Elevation changes when i'm changing it but when i drawing a object i found all the in 0 elevation. whats the solution?

And Another question is , Is it possible to scale up a particular object without changing its dimension? such as i draw a beam and its section,, i want the section Larger(without changing its dimension) but the beam as it is.

Any answer will appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

From AutoCAD Help file:

"ELEV controls only new objects; it does not affect existing objects. The elevation is reset to 0.0 whenever you change the coordinate system to the world coordinate system (WCS)."

Question: After you changed your elevation from 0.0 to whatever new one you specified did you happen to snap to a previously drawn object to draw your new object?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In regards to the beam: scaling up or down will change an object's dimensions. Not sure what you have in mind. Maybe it is your terminology. Attach an image or a drawing to your next post.

A thought just occurred to me. Are you trying to show the beam, in a sectional view, as a detail thus requiring it to be scaled up?

Edited by ReMark

W8x31BeamExample.jpg

This is a roughly drawn example of a structural beam showing three orthographic views along with a sectional view. The three ortho views are shown at a scale of 1"=1'-0". The sectional view is shown at a scale of 3"=1'-0". I threw a couple of dimensions on the side view and repeated them in the sectional view. Despite the sectional view having a larger scale the dimensions remain the same. Is this what you were inquiring about?

All objects (including hatching) were drawn, one time only, in model space at full size. My text and dimensions were placed in the paper space layout.

with regard to your first question, check the value of your variable Osnapz. If it is set to 1 it will use the value of "elev". if it is 0 it will use the Z value of the object or point that is snapped to.

Thanks Remark and feargt. My problem is solved.. and yes i tried to make that structural beam as it you have drawn. I did this by setting scaling factor in dimension style setting .. Is it the right way ?

That is one approach but not the one I took. All my dimensions were placed in my layout not in model space. I did not have to apply a scaling factor to my dimensions.