Isometric corner issue.

AutosoFreely

Hello,

I have a problem with an isometric drawing with two small trimmed circles that will not allow me to offset them.

I have the drawing in 2d with the edge offset by 3 and also a 3d version of the drawing also offset by 3.

I don't know how to explain it correctly so i have attached a .dwg.

isoOffsetIssue.dwg

Edited by AutosoFreely
wrong attachment

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AutosoFreely

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• Dana W

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OffsetIssue1.jpg

Advice: Use your 3D version and extract the 2D views, including any required isometric views, and you'll find the task to be far less complicated.

Since you have AutoCAD 2013 I suggest the BaseView command.

Ok I obviously did not explain myself correctly.

The drawing is a small part if a larger isometric drawing from my tutor on an autocad course. Not the best tutor as he didn't know why it would not offset. I had to draw it in Isometric view only. But those round corners would not offset, I just want to know why they do not offset as i do not want to have to draw it in 3d every time this happens.

I think your tutor's approach is somewhat questionable but be that as it may perhaps those curves won't offset because they are constructed from an ellipse?

BTW...I noticed a few problem areas on your completed 2D version.

All of the curves are ellipses but the others did offset. I know offset is not possible if there is no line length but there is. So thank you anyway. I hate isometric.

Well you keep telling yourself that as AutoCAD keeps telling you it won't work. You think you'll win that argument? That's why I suggested using BaseView and generating the 2D views from a 3D model.

It won't offset because it's not a complete ellipse. Recreate the ellipse but don't trim any part of it yet. Do your offset first, and THEN trim away.

:)

*EDIT*

The course my require you to complete this task in 2D isometric drawing environment. That's all well and dandy, and learn it while you can. Most here will tell you that the most efficient way about doing things (not to mention the most accurate) is to model your object in 3D, switch to an Isometric 3D View and use the FLATSHOT command to create the 2D drawing entities. Or VIEWBASE to have even a more efficient view comprised off the model component that also has bidirectional associativity with the model. In other words, when the model updates, so does the 2D view from VIEWBASE.

Mark is just giving you additional info that will greatly help you in your future endeavors.

-Tannar

Unknown command ''BASEVIEW''. Press F1 for help.

'It won't offset because it's not a complete ellipse. Recreate the ellipse but don't trim any part of it yet. Do your offset first, and THEN trim away.'

Yes I understand that but the other larger ellipse are also trimmed and allow offset. I just have to do it the way you suggest and not use offset.

AutoDesk sense of humor. At the command line it is VIEWBASE.

My guess is that even using a full ellipse you are going to get unexpected results.

Yes I understand that but the other larger ellipse are also trimmed and allow offset. I just have to do it the way you suggest and not use offset.
*shrugs* AutoCAD can be finicky that way. Especially in 3D modeling. I can do something that I "just did" to another solid model, and I can use a different command to perform the same end result? Crazy sometimes.... I guess AutoCAD couldn't calculate something in how that ellipse was trimmed. Dunno.... but workarounds are simply apart of AutoCAD.

Welcome to the club on that note, haha.

- Tannar

I would rather make the drawing in 3D as I am an avid user of Autodesk Maya as I build and render sports cars for game mods. But this course requires me to draw in Isometric.

I have re-drawn the thing using just ellipse and tangent lines and it does look better and far more accurate than what I got from using offset. Thank you both very much for your advice.

ellipse.jpg

I would rather make the drawing in 3D as I am an avid user of Autodesk Maya as I build and render sports cars for game mods. But this course requires me to draw in Isometric.
Nice, a Maya artist. Love that program. Out of curiosity, why in the world are you taking an AutoCAD class, especially one that requires 2D isometric drawing? Seems like a bit of a "step backwards".

:?

Yeah I noticed errors in the tangents too but they were not the problem I was focused on fixing.

Well I am trying to get a job in AutoCAD but all the companies I have spoken to require me to have at least a qualification in AutoCAD to be even considered, its something to do with insurance I believe. I cannot go on an apprenticeship as I already have a graphic design degree. So yes it is a very big step backwards as I'm used to doing things like below.

bmw70%.jpg

Man that's awesome. If you click my Fender Stratocaster project in my signature, you'll see my guitar that I'm modeling. I've tried modeling it in Maya but I'm so familiar with AutoCAD, Revit and 3ds Max that it's hard to pick up. I want to learn Maya because of the compatibility with other software applications, mainly Adobe.

Thanks for posting. :)

That is a very nice guitar model all you need now is a character model playing it. Is that created exclusively in AutoCAD 3D or AutoCAD Inventor? I tried 3dsmax but its limited on the things you can do with it. Maya though is very in depth allowing far more customisation.