Cannot grasp CAD

georgieanne

Hello,

Ive managed to get myself so far through a floor plan but when I sent it of to my tutor she said all my furniture was out of scale,

firstly id like to know how to get the correct scale and change this and secondly…a friend has said my CAD settings are wrong as its not displaying the measurements of anything when i click on it?

i hardly know what I'm talking about as it is so please help!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• georgieanne

• Dana W

• Patrick Hughes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slow down a minute. You can grasp CAD if you put your mind to it.

OK, you are drawing in model space. Did your tutor tell you to draw everything in model space to FULL size? Yes or No?

Would you be willing to attach a copy of the drawing file to a subsequent post so someone here can take a look at it?

Start by clicking on the Go Advanced button under the lower right hand corner of the Quick Reply box. At the next page click on the Paperclip icon. Click on Add Files, Browse to the location of the file on your hard drive then Upload. Once uploaded attach it to a post using Insert Inline (lower right corner of window) then click on Done. Add a brief line of text to the post and you are good to go.

Quick question. Is the drawing supposed to be in metric or imperial units?

OK....after a quick look I can definitely see that your drawing has some problems. What background information can you give us as to this assignment? For instance, what information do you have on interior and exterior wall thicknesses?

Is this the first CAD drawing you have done?

Oh god this is going to sound so dumb…literally just been told my plan is to be in millimetres….Ive been thrown in tot he deep end to produce these plans and my tutor doesn't explain very well. possibly metric as my friend told me to use the metric handbook on google?

Metric. OK....well you used the default template called acad.dwt which is set up for decimal inches. You would have been better off starting with one of the metric templates like acadiso.dwt.

Alright, what about background information about the project itself. What do you have? Do you have an overall size for the building?

Edited by ReMark
spelling

Basically the floor plan i attached is from my previous module, for my module now which is 'creative lighting' we have to use the floor plan we previously created and first produce a lighting plan which I could tackle but My tutor has said my furniture is out of scale so I'm thinking I better rectify this before i continue using the plan .

The module is created around a design company that have just moved into a new office space.

An example of what I have to do I have attached...

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 16.50.56.jpg

There are no other dimensions like for wall thicknesses or door and window openings?

Your current floor plan has wall thicknesses of 86, 99, 102.5, 108.9, 500, 763 and 1003. Where did those come from?

Re: furniture. Yes, the scale of some of your furniture is off by quite a bit. Much too small in most cases compared to the size of the rooms.

No idea this is literally what my feedback was from my last module ''From reviewing your feedback provided and the PDF drawings you uploaded, it was not necessarily a problem with your actual plan of the space it was the scale of your furniture which was very small.'' the reason she said i lost marks was down to the furniture being to small and out of scale :/

I disagree with your teacher but no matter. If all she is worried about is the scale of the furniture use the SCALE command to resize the blocks you inserted.

Suggestion: Put all your furniture on the FURN layer where it belongs

Any chance you can attach a PDF of that floor plan in post #11?

I disagree with your teacher but no matter. If all she is worried about is the scale of the furniture use the SCALE command to resize the blocks you inserted.

Suggestion: Put all your furniture on the FURN layer where it belongs

Any chance you can attach a PDF of that floor plan in post #11?

Of which floor plan?

This is where I think i have confused myself, I don't think I've started of correctly, nor have I used layers….

so the easiest way to change this is to click on the furniture blocks and re-scale them?

Thank you for your replies and help I really appreciate it, it really stresses me out when I cannot work things out

Can we get a PDF of the overall ground floor plan as shown in post #11? Yes or No?

Yes, you can rescale your blocks.

Are you taking an interior design course?

Georgieanne,

It seems you are quite new to the world of CAD (and perhaps for that matter technical drafting). I hope my comment does not come off as insulting but rather basic instruction. A very important aspect of drafting and CAD work is the precision with which you draw. I am lead to believe that you may not be drawing things accurately and with precision.

Based on comments by ReMark (whom btw is very realistic and helpful) it seems you may be experiencing a problem in your construction method. When ReMark is questioning why your wall vary in thickness it may be the result of you "eyeballing" the placement of lines and positioning of feature. Objects have dimensional values that need to be accurately represented in the drawing and in order to create an accurate drawing you must draw them to scale. So, if a wall has a thickness of 4 inches - it needs to be drawn at 4 inches (4.041 is not "close enough"0. Likewise a table that is 72 inches long must be drawn as 72 inches long.

There are multiple ways to input dimensions and features in AutoCAD, make certain that you use them for representing things accurately and with precision.

Again I hope I do not offend with making a point about something so basic.

Good luck.

I agree with Remark had a look at the furniture you should have gone and measured a couple of tables and chairs and then made a educated guess at the size of a table. A single chair you want say 750mm wide you have a 4 seater table so the table needs to be at least 3000 long more like 3200. The toilet did you use one yesterday we can make lots of jokes about taking a tape measure their, but it would have given you the size you need. Pun not intended.

Your single chairs are only 121mm long so need a scale factor of 580/121=4.79 just measured mine. The furniture may have been drawn in feet so inserting into dwg can create a foot/metric problem the solution is to scale 1/0.3048.

Interesting your table is in 3d. You could have impressed the lecturer by creating very simple 3d chairs, tables and sofa. a table is a big rectang extrude 50mm then move 0,0,0 0,0,900 then add 4 small squares as legs extrude 900 = 3D table. Same for chair. A couch make up of different size rectangs extruded back is higher than seat.

ScreenShot003.jpg

I'm still bothered by this comment from the instructor: "...it was not necessarily a problem with your actual plan of the space..."

How did the instructor fail to notice the three urinals located in front of a window? Or that the bathroom with the three urinals and one toilet had no sinks yet the bathroom with two toilets had four sinks? Or that there was one bathroom, in a very large space (middle of the building) with a doorway that was almost 3.5 times wider the all the other single doorways?

I'm still bothered by this comment from the instructor: "...it was not necessarily a problem with your actual plan of the space..."

How did the instructor fail to notice the three urinals located in front of a window? Or that the bathroom with the three urinals and one toilet had no sinks yet the bathroom with two toilets had four sinks? Or that there was one bathroom, in a very large space (middle of the building) with a doorway that was almost 3.5 times wider the all the other single doorways?

Maybe they hired this instructor away from Penn-Foster?