Changing Dynamic block name, AND keeping attributes

JeremyA1976

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help. I have made a dynamic block that is my template for calculating a metal pattern blank (so we know how much metal it uses) by width and length. I have also included quantity, material, instructions, etc. I have used the parameters and actions to associate this block so that I can extract the data into a spreadsheet for a Bill of Material.

Here is my problem #1:

Some of the blocks need to have different names so I can locate and choose their information, and leave others out. I have already made a lot of blocks and I do NOT want to go back and re-insert, define the attributes, and place my parameters to calculate the pattern. Is there a way I can change the name of the dynamic block (for data extraction purposes) but also keep the attributes for that block?

Problem #2: I have a width attribute that I attach to the dynamic block, which in turn, I insert a field from the object (same block), that gives me the XY parameter distance. In this case (with width) I choose the X distance. Every time I insert the block into a new drawing, I have to tell the dynamic block what I want again. It comes in with ######. Is there a way to set up the initial template block so that it will automatically know that I want the X distance from the parameter from THAT block?

I can send an example of the block if need be. I am not sure how clear I am being. I am fairly new to this whole dynamic block thing, but I can see how useful it is already! Thanks again for anyone who can help me with either problem.

Someone may come up with a LISP that can help, I do something similar and have 2 methods, I use the layer name to keep track of different blocks, you can add the layername to your data extraction, but if you need to change the blocks name the simplest method I know is to cut the blocks out of the drawing (Ctrl+X), paste them into a new drawing - run the rename command to change the block name then copy them back into the old drawing. It takes a bit of practice getting them back in the correct place, but adding a line into your drawing as a base reference works, and once you practice it only takes seconds to do.

It might be easier to deal with the second question if you could post the block, I think I know what the problem is, it has to do with fields and attributes not working straight out when you insert a block, you need to carry out a dynamic action to get them to recognise each other, but its difficult to explain without relating it to an example.

Steven-g,

Thanks for the ideas. I have uploaded my block for you to take a look at. I also included a panel for an example and the table I am trying to make to better help you understand what I am trying to do. If you could help guide me to learn where I am making my mistakes, I would appreciate it. I know in some instances, people would rather you just fix it and be done, but I WANT to understand how to utilize dynamic blocks better so I can be more creative in how I draw. Thanks again for the attention to my issues.

On the data extraction, I am only getting the choice to choose object names for extraction, which is why I am trying to figure out how to rename certain blocks. I could simply choose the blocks I want to extract, but I find it better to automate it as much as possible, and a lot of the times, I am in paper space, attaching the spreadsheet, so its not possible to choose the blocks. Is there a way I can choose objects by layer only in the extraction wizard? I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks again.

Jeremy

Pattern_Template_Info_BOM.dwg

So the rename is working. Its a bit tedious, but I only have to do it to so many blocks. I have already started inserting and adding the information before hand, so future blocks won't have this problem, I actually did not even know about the rename command. Thanks for that! I am finding I have to purge after each rename because I am trying to change multiple block names to one block name, so I can do a comprehensive data extraction of all panels. It is working great though and I appreciate your guidance on that. Once you help me figure out the dynamic block issue, I am off to the races!

Indeed I do like!!! Quick question and this might be just the way my dynamic block is set up, but when I copy or rename the block I attached above, it shifts my XY parameters over (to the east). Is there a particular reason it does that? This is exactly what I was looking for otherwise!

I couldn't see where your field was reading from, it just shows up as an error, so I added a base point to your dimensions and set the fields to read the two dimension parameters, you could alter the block insertion point to the dim base point, but take a look, and if you have any questions just ask (the weekend is just starting here though :)). You should be able to add a blocks layer to the data extraction file, but it depends on what method you are using.

Pattern_Template_Info_BOM.dwg

OMG! I see what I was doing wrong! I was Inserting field, then at the ALL category, I was going to object, select object, which would prompt me to select the block again, then I would pick the X or Y distance! I did not catch on to the fact that I could change the category and the top! hahaha. wow. Well thanks a ton! You have just opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for me to mess with. Have a great weekend and tip a pint for me.

Jeremy

Quick question when you have the chance. I am setting up a dynamic block that I need to stretch, rotate, flip AND report on width. I can do all of those, but I think I have the association messed up because when I try to stretch, it is not giving me the correct width on the distance parameter. I have attached the block for assistance. Thanks.

flangehelp.dwg

One of your stretches doesn't appear to have a dimension selected, and one problem could be that the attributes that contain fields should have their properties set to 'preset' otherwise they will prompt for a value on insert and overwrite the field.