Mview

ASH_CAD

Hi

Not sure if this is possible but is it possible this to cut any shape using MVIEW?

For example, if I have a floor plan but only want the MVIEW to be of one room which is not square/rectangle and not view any part of the adjoining rooms/areas?

Great forum BTW

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• ASH_CAD

• tzframpton

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Draw a Polyline, then initiate MVIEW and watch pay attention to the command line. You'll have an option to select the polygon as the Viewport.

*EDIT*

Object is what you want. As noted:

Command: MVIEW

Specify corner of viewport or [ON/OFF/Fit/Shadeplot/Lock/Object/Polygonal/Restore/LAyer/2/3/4] : O

Select object to clip viewport:

Regenerating model.

No, remark

OK, I'm being dumb tzf :(

I need to create an initial Mview so I can "see" the floor plan in the first place in PS?

Then it allows me to draw a PLINE but when I MVIEW > OBJECT it doesn't let me select the PLINE I just drew.

Try this.

After drawing your polyline....

Type -vports at the command line. Press the Enter key.

Select the Object option. Now pick your polyline.

What happens?

After creating a plane and typing vports in PS, I get a Viewports layout dialogue box. If I select Single. It does;t give me the option for selecting Object.

You obviously missed one small but very import thing. See that dash up there ^ ^ ^ in front of the word vports? When I ask you to type something I usually tell you exactly what to type.

-vports

No it does not. The pline just has to be in your layout.

Did you erase the default viewport that AutoCAD sometimes includes with a layout prior to creating your new polyline?

BTW...I confirmed my method works by testing it first in AutoCAD 2007 the same program you're running.

I did originally. I just tried with a new Layout and same issue. The PLINE is on the ASH_MVIEW layer. When not in MVIEW it allows me to select the PLINE but as soon as i use MVIEW > OBJECT the PLINE becomes unelectable.

Please stop trying to use MVIEW. Follow the directions I gave you the first time and use -vports. Remember the dash.

If you can't figure it out attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

To create your viewport using the MVIEW command you need to use the POLYGONAL option. This option allows you to draw your custom viewport in any shape you want just as though you were doing it with a polyline. There is no need to draw a polyline viewport first if you use this option.

BTW...the polygonal viewport method (via MVIEW) is covered in your AutoCAD 2007 Help file. I just confirmed that too.

OK. Now you have two ways of doing it. One of them should work for you.

Here's your drawing back.

I created a layer called VPorts and gave it the color magenta. I made it the current layer. I even created a sample polygonal viewport. Now you can do whatever you want. Erase what is there. Start MVIEW, select the POLYGONAL option and draw your new viewport.

Have fun.

Sorry but I have to run off now. Time for dinner.

Floor plan_Vport.dwg

The current layer in your drawing was locked which would keep it from being picked. I would draw a closed pline over the top of a viewport, then use the clip command, pick the original vport, then pick our pline.