Using point codes to label Section Views

adrath

I'm working on a huge drainage improvement project at work which includes widening an existing channel and several associated roads, putting in new storm drains and relocation of existing utilities. I have a corridor for the entire site. Since the channel width and the profiles of the retaining walls on either side varies quite a bit, I built a custom subassembly with the subassembly composer to accurately model the channel.

I need to label the channel center, and the existing right of way in all of the section views. I also need to insert a block in each section view to show the chainlink fence on the top of each channel wall, and another block for a guardrail at the edge of the roadway adjacent to the channel.

I know that I could use feature lines and project them to the section views as suggested in this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?85009-ROW-label-in-Section-View-ATTACHMENT however, there are a lot of cross-sections and, as I understand it, I would have to project the feature line to each one individually. This is a good back-up plan if I can't get anything else to work.

I know there is a way to accomplish this using point codes and then assigning marker styles to those point codes, but I have no earthly clue how they work or how to add them. Is it something I need to do in the sub assembly itself, or is there a separate subassembly I can add to my assembly that will allow me to use point codes? Has anyone done this before or does anyone know of a good tutorial or resource that would explain the steps I need to take in detail? I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!

No, it's something different (at least, as I understand it. I could be wrong though). I believe it is a code that the user somehow assigns to a specific node in the assembly/sub assembly (i.e. the right of way line) and then somehow associates a marker style with the point code assigned to that node so that it is always labeled/displayed a certain way in the actual finished cross-sections. I've heard about it being done and I think i understand the basic concept, I just have no idea how to actually implement it.

Marker Label.pdf

Hello adrath, just to be a 1000% percent sure....is the attached the marker/label you are looking for. If so I can help you with that, it is a subject that I can honestly say I'm an expert in.

If not, I would be interested in knowing the answer when you find it.

rlshound

Yes it would be something similar to that. I'm fairly adept at editing label styles (I was the one that set up all of our styles to comply with the company's CADD standards), so I can get that part done relatively easily. The part that I'm clueless about is how to set up the point codes and then assign a different marker style to each point code. Any help you can give me would much appreciated.

With creating custom assembly's, you can add in your own points/codes.

You can then add them to a code set and apply it to the sub assembly.

EDIT: Just re-read your OP and realized this might be a little vague.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-78C18D96-1BE9-431A-84C0-BC84151A3B7C.htm,topicNumber=CUGd30e279964

This explains it pretty simply. Make sure you follow the directions for adding the new codes to the code set.