exploding blocks with 3d solids not behiving in autocad 2015

golfdogz

Just installed 2015 and got to witness the whole sorted affair, start to finish. Pretty depressing.

It appears that if the Scale command's error handler is in affect when the scale factor is input (the same error handler that creates the "Extremely small scale factor ignored." string), it corrupts the database. Not an irrevocable situation, apparently, but pretty troublesome if left unattended.

Until Autodesk fixes the problem - Maybe the millimeter to Meter scaling effort can be "macro"fied to avoid the issue.

^C^C_Select;\_scale;p;;\;0.1;_scale;p;;@;0.1;_scale;p;;@;0.1;

Edited by SEANT

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• ReMark

• SEANT

• golfdogz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "good" news is that I already got a phone call from Autodesk for the Support case I opened this morning (unfortunately I didn't take the call so I only heard it on voicemail). Basically they're aware and have confirmed the SCALE issue and have sent it up the line for further investigation and possible correction in future updates (no mention of the display issue which was also part of the support request) The "bad news" is that in my experience, being aware doesn't mean it will get fixed anytime soon, and sometimes "never" There's a chance it will be fixed in a hotfix otherwise the SP1 typically comes out in September so that's the first best chance... otherwise SP2 (if released) will likely be sometime in calendar year 2015... :(

Yep... for the price of your "upgrade" you're basically getting a new color scheme and a few new bugs. Honestly, I haven't seen much compelling in any of the recent releases. I could really use Drawing views as use the heck out of FLATSHOT, but I won't touch it because I've seen the havoc VIEWBASE "can" heap upon a model.

BTW, got a call back... made sure they understood all the associated issues, and asked to have the case closed as long as the problems have been logged. I didn't expect one phone call, much less two, so I'll give them props for speedy customer service.

If you watched the screencast I posted earlier, you will see how performing routine tasks in AutoCAD "can" cause 3D objects to become disjointed in such a way as to be displayed in a different location than their geometry. Creating "Drawing Views" using the VIEWBASE command is one of the tasks that "can" cause this issue with the geometry the views are associate with. I stated earlier in this thread the I've seen Viewbase cause the problem, and cautioned about potential problems with Viewbase in previous topics as well.

To put this in context, I had a '94 Ford Explorer.... the one with the Firestone tires that failed causing many Explorers to flip/crash. I had 60,000 + miles on those tires and fortunately never had a failure. That doesn't make the problem any less serious, especially to those affected.

Edited by nestly

Until Autodesk fixes the problem - Maybe the millimeter to Meter scaling effort can be "macro"fied to avoid the issue.

^C^C_Select;\_scale;p;;\;0.1;_scale;p;;@;0.1;_scale;p;;@;0.1;

maybe a lisp function to redefine the SC command that uses an if (or actually cond in the case below - should probably be an if) command to divide scale factors less than 0.1 by 0.1 a few times so as to be able to break the scale factor down into several 'scale' operations around a common base point.

heres what i have so far - works for values up to 0.001, but to go further will need extra levels for each decimal point that the sale factor gets smaller

cant believe we as users would have to wait for something so fundamental to the point of autocad for an issue like this to be fixed.

;; scale by smaller than 0.1
   (defun c:sc (/ ss1 #sc #bp #sc2)
   (setq ss1 (ssget))
   (setq #bp (getpoint"\nEnter base point : "))
   (setq #sc (getreal "\nEnter scale factor : "))

(cond 
((>= #sc 0.1)(command "scale" ss1 "" #bp #sc))
((< #sc 0.1)(setq #sc2 (* #sc 10))(command "scale" ss1 "" #bp "0.1")(command "scale" ss1 "" #bp #sc2))
(t nil)
);end cond

);end

line modified to allow for an extra decimal (so 0.0001)

for every extra decimal wanted just increase the - (* #sc 100) and and an extra - (command "scale" ss1 "" #bp "0.1") - to the line.

downside is for every action if you want to undo it, it is several 'undos' to get back to original size.

((< #sc 0.1)(setq #sc2 (* #sc 100))(command "scale" ss1 "" #bp "0.1")(command "scale" ss1 "" #bp "0.1")(command "scale" ss1 "" #bp #sc2))

Have you tried scaling the object down not with the SCALE command, but with the X,Y,Z scale in the Properties palette?