pitched roof help!

pancake

Well, pancake, that may be the end of that. ReMark is used to helping students do it right in every detail. It sounds like you just wanted to know how to fudge in the final touches on your buillding, as you already had everything else mostly fudged in. Since you are obviously not interested in doing this accurately, what are you trying to accomplish? Or are you saying that your drawing represents the exact dimensions of the existing building? BTW, yelling (all caps) isn't the way to proceed.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• pancake

• tzframpton

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ReMark told you in post #15 how to create your roof.

The good news if that were true would be that creating the roof in 3D would be easier. Create the profile (a triangle) and extrude it.

Too bad you rejected ReMark's generous offer of assistance based on your own frustration and failure to read his instructions diligently.

He would much rather help you get an A on your project than a C, the only vicarious reward he gets is seeing you learn how to do it right.

Before you do a project like this you should turn on your ORTHO, so that the lines you draw are level, or plumb, and square to one another.

If you fail to do that you will never get it right.

If you are able to get one of those 2 wall or foundation lines correct, you can use the OFFSET command to replicate it at an exact distance

representing the thickness of the wall.

Your professed desire to understand how to do it correctly, does not exempt you from having to pay attention and learn something. :|

The only mistake I can see that ReMark made, is where he says he sometimes make mistakes.

Extrude the triangle which represents the end view of your roof by an appropriate distance,

including the length of overhangs, wherever they might be.

If it is a hip roof, you can then use the SLICE command to define and remove the unwanted gable ends.

Choose an orthogonal view to define the angles at the ends of the roof, so that when you SLICE your 3D Model

it is not random, but precise and the same on both ends (assuming it is a hip roof, rather than a gable roof).

Using the SLICE command, read the commandline prompts carefully and you should do fine.

I tend to create a circle to use as a planar Object, and rotate it to whatever angle I need, and later

I define that as my SLICING tool, by following the prompts. There are about a half dozen different

ways to define your slicing plane, choose the way you find easiest, from the commandline options.

creating and slicing your hip roof.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

There is some mistakes in this image but its a quasie 3d and it was created using autocad like 20 years ago simple commands like thickness for walls the roof Pface, the windows cut the walls so see through. Basicly before solids. So with regard to original post it can be done with a bit of simple learning.

3dhouse.jpg

3DApartmentHouse1.jpg

I used your original drawing as the basis for this.

It's as far as I can get at the moment. I'm giving blood this morning so I'm off to my appointment. Not sure what to do about the small section of roof between the two main roofs.

When you look at your original 3D building in 2Dwireframe visual style in a top view you'll see where the green overhang does not match up with the building. Just another area that needs to be worked on if you intend on pursuing this design.

Remark could extend right house gable so both touch and cut the back one but that would mean a section of high wall or alternative cantilever roof maintaining rear edge.

Yes, BIGAL I thought the same thing too but I was also trying to come up with at least one other option. I might have a go at it this morning before I start in on my yard work.

Compare the photo to the OP's drawing and you'll see he went his own way with the design. Note that there is no hip roof shown in the photo either. I am only expanding on what the OP provided. The large roofs at either end in his drawing have the exact same height.

Compare the photo to the OP's drawing and you'll see he went his own way with the design. Note that there is no hip roof shown in the photo either. I am only expanding on what the OP provided. The large roofs at either end in his drawing have the exact same height.
Well, if the OP is copying the photo, then they're no better at that than reading your posts.

I too thought he was trying to copy the photo but I think the only aspect of the photo that he was interested in was the roof line above the triple window.

If I have some time later today I may start in on the windows but I'll have to calculate the overall height of the building and determine the proper vertical spacing.

You of all people should know by now that is not my post count; it is my age expressed in days. If it were my post count I doubt it would be more than triple digits.

3DApartmentBldgWindows.jpg

I think the window placement in the OP's original drawing were too high so I moved them lower. This then created a header above the top row of windows that was missing (note red circled area at upper left corner).