+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MrMarc

Question Is It Wise To Double Up On AutoCAD Courses. Also Have Some Question.

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hopefull I put this in the right thread, I believe I have if not please move it.

Sorry if this is a little long.

A little bit about me, I've been working in an architectural firm for a little over year now basically doing preliminary work like coloring and graphic stuff i've also been using autoCAD for the past year doing basic things like square-foot cal and other basic things. So right now my boss is going to have a pay raise talk with me and he would also like to see me in the drafting side of things, he also told me he would pay for any classes or courses he basically just wants me to get more of the core features of AutoCAD down and then he said once I start the drafting side of things, within the year I would know what I'm doing.

So I have been looking at the Penn Foster drafting with AutoCAD course and another course via Ashworth and would like to know if I'm heading in the right direction of things at least course wise.

Ashworth --> http://www.ashworthcollege.edu/career-diplomas/autocad

Penn Foster --> http://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-a...career-diploma

How does the Ashworth one look course wise?

Is it wise to take both at the same time?, that if these course suit my needs.

Thank you for your time.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

My suggestion is as follows.

Do NOT take the Penn-Foster AutoCAD course. It's a waste of money and the instructors do not answer questions in a timely manner. The "projects" are haphazardly written, prone to errors and omissions and do not cover many of the newer features found in AutoCAD. BTW...the latest release is AutoCAD 2015. I have no knowledge of Ashworth College so I will have to pass on that.

I would do two things.

First. Contact your local AutoDesk reseller and ask if they offer courses. Most do. They typically have both a basic and an advanced course. If your boss can spare you the basic course usually runs for a full week. The advanced course would probably be three days. You'll be in a class with other newbies, have an instructor who knows the program, you can ask all the questions you want, network with your peers and leave at the end of the week with all your course materials (you paid for them). Classes tend to be relatively small too so you do not get lost in the crowd.

Second. See if your local community college offers an Introduction to AutoCAD course. These will typically be held one or two nights a week (3 to 4 hours a night) and run for a full semester (four months). The downside is you have the course fee, admin services fee, computer lab fee (whether you use it or not) as well as the cost of any books. There may be other "requirements" that you will have to meet as well.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

MrMarc

Ok, Thank you.

This morning I showed my co-worker these things, he said the Ashworth one looks the best and should cover all of my needs and then they will teach me the rest drafting wise etc.

None of the colleges near me offer just a cad class there full on degrees, even the trade schools near me don't offer just a class, but there this tho Link below. What do you think about them? So right now I plan on Ashworth followed by the advance course below.

http://www.certstaff.com/trainingcat...-advanced.html

Can you tell me what you think of the course outline to?

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Certstaff? For the price they are charging you could take three courses at a community college and two at your local AutoDesk reseller. I vote thumbs down.

Ashworth could just as well be another diploma mill. If you are seriously considering signing up for their AutoCAD course I would first do a search on "Ashworth College"+"reviews" and see what other students had to say.

Have you contacted your local AutoDesk reseller to inquire about courses? This is your BEST bet.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

MrMarc

No I have not contacted a local autodesk resller, but when I get a chance I will. I will also review the Ashworth college more etc. Will post back on my findings. Anything else I should know?

Thank you, for all the help so far.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Yes. Should you decide on taking the Ashworth College AutoCAD course please return throughout the time it takes you and tell us what you think about the course itself and the instructor. Who knows, maybe you'll help someone in the future looking to make a similar decision.

Good luck.

MrMarc

Thank you.! Please at-least make a sticky and kinda warn people about Penn Foster like you mentioned. I will post back back for sure, and will use this site for help along with the help of my co-workers. Again thank you for everything.

Using
    Inventor 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarc View Post
    None of the colleges near me offer just a cad class there full on degrees...
    AutoCAD classes are generally 100 level classes - no prerequisites.
    If there is a class at a local college - you should be able to get into it whether you are degree seeking or not.
    Certified SolidWorks Professional
    Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
    Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

IF you are in the USA, many community colleges offer AutoCad 101. With no prerequisites.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

You will be far better off going here, and it is free.
    http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/

Or get a good step by step book and follow along with that. I like Applying AutoCAD by T. Wohlers.
    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?br...d+2013&mtype=B
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski