Extrude and Trim Multiple Lines

Guitte

[sarcasm]If something doesn't work, read the directions, then do it the way you've always done it. Good advise to live by.[sarcasm]

If you do not want to use the command in a way that works, I've got nothing else to for you. Maybe you can try LISP.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guitte

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• JD Mather

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, my theory is don't invent something that doesn't work. If something does work but not to it best, rather try to make it work better. Yes I am reading. I try everything before I seek advice or help. Please keep your [sarcasm]. Don't need it. Ill try LISP. Thank you.

You totally missed my point. Why would you completely bypass the first step of the command by using the option to select everything and expect it not to trim to everything? It even asks you to select a cutting edge when you invoke the command.

Do you really think code is going to know that you want to TRIM/EXTEND to a specific object without you selecting it?

So far I have had no problem extending or trimming lines in your drawing. There does appear to be something unusual about it but I cannot pinpoint precisely what it is at the moment.

What is the source of the drawing? Was it created or edited in an AutoCAD vertical product?

Why does the drawing have multiple similar layers (ex. - Annotation and Annotations; Concrete and Concrete/Brickwork; Steel and Steelwork)?

I would never have a 71MB file.

exref

A trim/extend problem should only require 2 or 3 entities to demonstrate the problem behavior. All else is extraneous distractions.

The actual file size is approximately 1.72MB. I have subsequently reduced the file size to 167KB.

I've emailed a copy of your drawing back to you at your gmail account. Test it and tell us if it responds any better.

Thanks ReMark. The reason for all the layers was because I was not the first editor of this particular drawing and the previous user used different custom layers, I integrated those layers into the drawing I sent to you. We'll test and get back to you.

Wow! It works! Would the size/number of layers have been the cause of the problem? How did you manage to bring it down to such a tiny file size?

By the way how did you merge all the layers onto one plane? How do I prevent line/layers from being drawn on a different plane levels for no obvious reason?

First I put your drawing on a diet by running the Overkill, -Purge and Audit commands on it. I repeated the process just in case something slipped by. Second I WBlocked out any entity that appeared on-screen. Between these two procedures I was able to reduce the overall file size significantly.

Did you or someone you know use the Change command's Elevation option? That would not be recommended in a 2D drawing.

Make sure OSNAPZ is set to 0 not 1.

I used the side-view to see if all the lines were drawn on one axis plane, that was one of the replies on the forum for someone who also had the same problem. That is how I figured out what could be the cause of my problem.

I opened another drawing that has unused layers, I try to put it to the diet-run test, but when I run the -purge command it asks the following "Enter name(s) to purge :". I'm not sure what to enter here?

Enter name(s) to purge : just hit the Enter key here

Verify each name to be purged? [Yes/No] : answer "no" to this question