printed scale is very slightly off

RobinEloquence

Hello,

This is my first drawing in autocad in many years. I actually managed to put the drawing together nicely in model space. i left the scale at 1:1 here. I then created a layout in paperspace. The page set up is also at 1:1. I created a view port and double clicked inside it, here I set the scale to 1" = 1'. I added all my dimensions.

Everything looks great until I try to print. A lot of the dimensions don't seem to quite line up. I checked the print with a ruler and it seems the dimensions are correct but the drawing is off, I'm talking 1/32".

I tried exporting to PDF and I get the same result. I've double checked all the problem dimensions and they are snapped to appropriate points. I also read a suggestion to move every element of the layout well within the border of the page which also hasn't helped. I also checked that the print settings did not include "scale to fit". I'm feeling guilty wasting so much company time on this issue but I need a solution before we can send these drawings to the factory. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Gustav Bed 06.30.14.dwg

Edited by RobinEloquence
attached drawing

Hello,

This is my first drawing in autocad in many years. I actually managed to put the drawing together nicely in model space. i left the scale at 1:1 here. I then created a layout in paperspace. The page set up is also at 1:1. I created a view port and double clicked inside it, here I set the scale to 1" = 1'. I added all my dimensions.

Everything looks great until I try to print. A lot of the dimensions don't seem to quite line up. I checked the print with a ruler and it seems the dimensions are correct but the drawing is off, I'm talking 1/32".

I tried exporting to PDF and I get the same result. I've double checked all the problem dimensions and they are snapped to appropriate points. I also read a suggestion to move every element of the layout well within the border of the page which also hasn't helped. I also checked that the print settings did not include "scale to fit". I'm feeling guilty wasting so much company time on this issue but I need a solution before we can send these drawings to the factory. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

I just printed out your drawing (twice, once directly and once as a PDF) and checked several of the dimensions. All of them scaled perfectly.

Thank you so much for checking! I wish I could get it to print correctly. Would you mind looking at a JPEG of the result I'm getting? Is it some sort of setting I'm missing?

Gustav Bed.jpg

I used a magnifying glass and the edge of a triangle to check both my prints and it appears that the extension lines are right where they are supposed to be. I do not see any shifting occurring. Maybe it's time for a new printer?

I would tend to agree except that printing to pdf on this computer seems to do the same thing. hmpf. There must be a print setting on my end that I'm not seeing. I really appreciate you looking. The good news is that if I send the drawing to the factory they probably will not have the same problem that I am having.

Again, thanks for your help! you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I can see it happening here on my setup, but it isn't dimensions. I can draw lines from endpoints and some will line up in the PDF and some won't.

I would tend to agree except that printing to pdf on this computer seems to do the same thing. hmpf. There must be a print setting on my end that I'm not seeing. I really appreciate you looking. The good news is that if I send the drawing to the factory they probably will not have the same problem that I am having.

Again, thanks for your help! you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Years back I remember we had a printer that would need to be calibrated. It would knock prints out of scale parallel to the roller mechanism. Try plotting it scaled 100% but rotated 90 deg and see if you have the same problem. If not, then your printer may need a clean up. Also try plotting the PDF to another printer to compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Its most likely your print settings rather than Autocad. make sure you UNCHECK the box choose pdf by paper size and make sure there is no page scaling.