Civil 3D Help Needed

arlene

I am receiving error message "surfaces do not overlap" when i try to get volume between two surfaces.. i have two surfaces:

1. Made up of Survey points

2. Polyline which i put an elevation to make it 3d poly and then convert it into block before making it a surface.

What could have I done wrong?

Help me please :)

You may need a boundary to clip surface that basicly limits the area the volume will be calculated within it must fit within both surfaces. If you have a flat plane as second surface as it sounds like to me just add 4 points with height well outside volume area to the surface. You only really need 5 points to make a surface (4 outside 1 in middle) if you want a volume to a flat plane.

You only really need 5 points to make a surface (4 outside 1 in middle) if you want a volume to a flat plane.

Why 5?

4 or even 3 could do it.

Which reminds me, Carlson has always had a nice feature where you could calc a volume between any surface and a flat elevation, withOUT having to make a surface for the flat elevation.

Very useful.

3 pts min is correct pretty sure old version of civ3d asked for 5, side note our 3rd party software allows for volumes by slices handy for water volume calcs or part full volumes.