How to batch plot when title block is not always in the same location?

vernonlee

I understand. But the issue is

1) Titleblock is not in a fix location.

2) I am not allowed to change anything for the drawing.

3) Using "extents" for plot area almost work but titleblock has 2 corner & is in layer 0 which appear at top right & bottom corner which will get printed as the 'extents' is another 2 corner lines (in defpoint). See my attached drawing.

4) switching off the defpoint also do not work as the 2 corners can still be seen in the plot.

I have eariler attached a sample drawing showing the title block.

If there is a way to automate the printing without showing the 2 corners I am keen to know.

Thanks

The only way publish can work without directly making changes to the drawings is for the drawings to have proper page set-ups in place.

If that is not the case, then ask the people who can change the drawings to make sure they are set-up properly so that you can print without making changes.

If that cannot be done, you could make page set-ups for the different scenarios you have and import them into publisher and assign them to the appropriate sheets.

You need to keep in mind that in order for any automation like this to work requires a certain amount of preparation.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vernonlee

• RobDraw

• BIGAL

• Wesley_Amsterdam

The only way publish can work without directly making changes to the drawings is for the drawings to have proper page set-ups in place.

If that is not the case, then ask the people who can change the drawings to make sure they are set-up properly so that you can print without making changes.

If that cannot be done, you could make page set-ups for the different scenarios you have and import them into publisher and assign them to the appropriate sheets.

You need to keep in mind that in order for any automation like this to work requires a certain amount of preparation.

I totally agree. But not likely to work.

What would the boss/supervisor think of me when the Architect come over to ask me to help print over 70 drawings for his meeting later in the afternnon but instead I as a draftsman tell him to do proper plot setup first for those 70 drawings, save it before I will print as that would be easier & less time consuming for me?

The create different plot set scenarios may work, provided the title block is not too random in the first place.

Thanks for try to help. Appreciate it. I guess considering what alternatives i have right now, there isn't much i can do.

By the way anyway to reduce the actual 'extents' plot area base on the 'extents' plot area either by lisp/script or even autocad settings?

So meaning if the 'extents' plot area capture on the screen as 0,421, the actual 'extents' plot area will be 2,419?

When providing CAD files, it is good practice to use standard page set-ups. If they are being provided for printing, it should be required. Therefore, that question would be totally in line. The person(s) setting up the files should be following a standard. In an ideal world, you should be able to print the files without changing anything. Anything less than that is substandard. That is the way I set-up my files. I can have a set of well over one hundred sheets and anyone can go into any of those drawings and print a layout as a full size sheet without changing anything.

Since that is not possible for you, I would look at having a file with a variety of page set-ups saved locally. That is only going to work if you can tell which one is needed for each sheet from the list in publisher. Using extents for the plot area is only going to work if there isn't anything outside of the title block.

Another option would be make the necessary changes and save them to a different file and then publish.

I think i found a way by playing around with the plot scale as this help to 'control' the extents plot area.

Tested the script & regardless of the location of the title block can work. But provided titleblock is the same size which fortunately in my case is all A0

Thanks for the advise RobDraw, which i do believe are valid & ideal but not very practical in my real situation.

The other alternative is to use a lisp and find the titleblock, you can then redo the plot using window and known sheet size, the insertion point of the title block is always the same location within the block.

This will get you well under way

; plot multi title block in one layout
(PROMPT ".....PRINTING DRAWING TO plotter....")
(setq oldsnap (getvar "osmode"))
(setvar "osmode" 0)

(setq ss2 (ssget "x" '((0 . "INSERT")(2 . "Da1drsht"))))
(setq n (sslength ss2))
(setq index 0)
(repeat n
   (setq en (ssname ss2 index))
   (setq el (entget en))
   (setq inspt (assoc 10 el)) ; insertion pt
  (setq xmin (- (cadr inspt) 6.0))
  (setq ymin (- (caddr inspt) 6.0))
  (setq xymin (strcat (rtos xmin 2 1) "," (rtos ymin 2 1)))
  (setq xmax (+ xmin 813.0)) ; hard coded for 813 wide 6mm offset
  (setq ymax (+ ymin 566.0)) ;hard code for 566 high
  (setq xymax (strcat (rtos xmax 2 1) "," (rtos ymax 2 1)))

(COMMAND "-PLOT"  "Y"     "" "//PRODPRN01/Design-5100"
       "A3" "M"     "LANDSCAPE"   "N"
       "W"   xymin   xymax "1=2"  "C"
       "y"   "Designlaser.ctb"      "Y"   "" "n"   "n"
       "y" "N" "N" "Y"
   )

(setq index (+ index 1))
)
(setvar "osmode" oldsnap)
(princ)

Your title block example dwg uses lwplines normally a title would be a block with attributes etc.

Version 1 certainly moved the plines for me needs aslightly different value than 0,0

I just gave a sample size of the title block only. I removed all the block attributes.

When i tested version 1, i use the actual titleblock though it did nothing on my end.

Thanks for the advise RobDraw, which i do believe are valid & ideal but not very practical in my real situation.

Glad to help. It's unfortunate that you can't insist that very basic drawing standards be followed. I would talk to my immediate supervisor about how much time is being wasted because you can't do a simple print without jumping through hoops. Trust me, I know it can be difficult to get people to do it, but once they get why consistency is so important, they will thank you.