UK dormer extension drawings costs

sparkyuk

I'm an electrician not an architect ...

Are you self employed? If so could you offset this against tax, with a bit of creative thinking. If you are you would require invoices so Glen's mate and co would probably not be interested in doing the job as they would want cash in hand. You would then need a profi.

I Did something similar when I was in UK, but it was an extension, and I was able to offset some of the costs against tax as I was setting up a 'home office'. I was working in a company at the time but my employer was willing to say that I had to do work at home, should the taxman ask, he never did.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sparkyuk

• Glen1980

• danellis

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

g. If you are you would require invoices so Glen's mate and co would probably not be interested in doing the job as they would want cash in hand.

Just in case I ever run for parliament allow me to say I do not condone tax evasion, nor have I ever evaded any tax worth collecting. I even typed that with a straight face!

Also check to see if the person who does your drawings is ACIAT or MCIAT I believe they have to carry PI insurance as a part of their membership so if they cock up the design you can at least get money rather than an IOU if you sue them. For example I rent my home and lease my car so all anyone who sues me will get is my meagre savings and my bottle cap collection!

Looks like if her in doors wants the full size 5.5mt x 5 mt dormer we will have to get planning so just a case of finding someone local to do the drawings for me.

Where is local?

dJE

I was half tempted to offer, but I've no experience of loft conversions since I did one at college and that wasn't built! Also haven't got my PI sorted yet.

Well thank you for nearly offering :lol:

Find it hard to believe not many here able to help.

I did Google dormer drawings and found a few in pdf but none in Dwg I could modify.

You're Welcome :oops:

I've finally had enough of sharing my house so I'm just about to start doing private work again to subsidise my beer habit but I want to be properly covered for building regs work. Not so worried about planning as nobody gets hurt if I make a mistake!

According to the Planning Portal extensions guide here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/miniguides/lofts/Lofts.pdf at that size (27.5m2) Planning Permission would be required, and it would be irrespective of size if the dormer were facing the street). The fee for an householder Planning Application is £172. You would also require Building Regulations approval, which a quick google suggests is £400-£500. You need to decide whether you'd want to manage these applications yourself (only paying for the drawings) or whether the person you employ should manage them for you. I'm sure this would affect the fees they'd charge!

The drawings required for the Planning Application would be:

• Location plan showing your home in the context of it's neighbourhood.
  • Block plan at a larger scale, showing just your home.
  • Before and after floor plans.
  • Before and after elevations.

I'd have to check for Building Regs but they'd essentially need the drawings necessary to build the extension itself, more detailed floor plans, sections, along with engineering calculations to prove your existing structure would be up to the job of holding the extra weight up.

HTH

dJE

1000 pounds for all of that?

You would be looking more in the realm of 5k to 8K AUD here minimum (seems to be only about 2500 to 4000 pounds now given the AUD has dropped rapidly lately) and would be lucky if you can find someone to do all aspects of the job (particularly structural) and who has the insurances to cover the work.

Most jobs of that size are carried out by people like me who work for developers or architects during the day that supplement their income by doing the smaller less profitable jobs like single storey extensions and loft conversions. I once paid £40 to have an engineer prove my purlin sizes with calculations (I'd taken it off of the TRADA tables so I was fairly confident it would work.) Architecture as a whole seems to be unappreciated/derided/whipping boys in the UK at the moment, we are seen as a cost rather than as a potential for savings via intelligent design, but nobody will ever do anything without our drawings.