Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• ryeh84

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

Sorry I've not been on for a while - I've been away on business.

I had already tried playing with the hardware acceleration options with no real affect and the adaptive degradation.

AMD? Can a modern(ish) 4gb graphics card really be the issue here? I have heard they aren't the best for CAD but seriously? A predominantly 2d drawing with one 3d part and my card can't handle it? Sorry, but I seriously doubt that. I've downloaded and viewed some amazing (huge and very detailed) drawings on my pc with no lag whatsoever. It seems to be only when viewing 2d and 3d on the screen at the same time - this being the only time I've tried to do that with any substantial amount of 2d work.

I actually completed the 3d drawing while I was away on a much less powerful laptop (AMD CPU & GPU) by copying the parts over to a blank drawing one at a time and building the desk in its own drawing. Not ideal, but it worked just fine. even the completed desk on the laptop and my own pc in conceptual style was absolutely fine.

So - if my pc can handle these massive complicated highly detailed 3d drawings in any visual style... Why can't it view one 3d part with a relatively basic 2d drawing? I think the answer becomes more and more obvious the more you analyse the facts.

ReMark - I think you are right, the drawing is very bloated - our office 'CAD Standards' aren't the best. I work with a couple of guys who are stuck in their ways and its impossible to get them to change the way they use CAD. The 19mm Z level I can only assume is some result of the presspull command I used to create the 3d part which is 19mm thick? I used a negative 19mm as I wanted to follow that command with more presspull commands to create the trenches you see on the part. The drawing was originally created in CAD LT 2011 in the office by a colleague and I brought it home and I'm using (Full) CAD 2012. Because we work for the same clients a lot with the same design details throughout the brand, these drawings get used over and over again and some literally become a digital 'Frankenstien's monster'.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will keep all your suggestions in mind for future projects.

Happy Easter!