Dimensions with decimals

zoran_gr

Using subscript numerals has been long been accepted in Hydrographic surveys, but I must admit that I have never seen superscript numerals used. I must get out more!

HydroSurvey.PNG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoran_gr

• Dana W

• BIGAL

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK if you are studyng math, then you don't use dimension texts like that, but if you are drawing something in civil engineering than you will know that 12⁵ is not 12^5 (248832) and you know that it is 12,5 cm. That's why I think that it is not same like a new letter in alphabet. Ofcourse I use to put text above or beside the dimension line.

Anyway thank you for your opinion.

You can disagree until the cows come home, but that will not make it a proper annotation method for a simple decimal number on a dimension. There's a reason why it is not included as a method within the dimension style editor in AutoCad, and that fact is the answer to your question as to the possibility of doing it.

I have worked with a Licensed Professional Land Surveyor/Civil Engineer for many years. He would never accept that type of dimensional annotation. What's more, if you debated it with him AT ALL, you would be working at a petrol station the next day.

Eldon was the survey in fathoms ? 1 fathom 4 feet ?

This particular survey was done in 2013 (not by me), and because some of the subscript numbers run up to 9, I would assume that the figures are in metres and decimetres.

But if I had been lucky enough to see a similar chart from the industrial heyday of this stretch of river in 1780, then the depths would have been in fathoms and feet.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, the autodesk site describes a method for using superscript text for millimeters for AEC dimensions http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore/caas/beta/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Architecture/files/GUID-FFBA2174-022F-4CD7-9548-4468942BFD00-htm.html

It doesn't show any examples or give any clue as to why you might want to do it.

Just to throw a spanner in the works......

No spanner, just extremely useful information :D

It does say that if the main units are metres or centimetres, then there was a style for superscript millimetres. But I always thought that architects were wedded to millimetres as their main unit.

I didn't mean to fault anyone, I just think that maybe it will be possible to do it, like now it si possible to write dimensions with prefix or sufix. I know that it is not mathematically proper, but if you see 12⁵ on dimension I belive that nobody will think that it is 248832 cm, you will know that it is 12,5 cm if you are looking at plan of the building.

Thank you for your opinion!

nobody will have any idea what is meant and they will (hopefully) not risk a guess! you will likely be asked to re-draw.

good luck with it!