Picking line properties and setting as default

Hi guys,

Say I have two line styles, one red dashed and the other blue dotted. My current preset as I am drafting is set to black continuous line which is fine.

Is there a quick way to pick properties of the two lines (coloured) as I am drawing?

My current workflow is drawing with my default black line and once I am finished I use pickprop command to pick red or blue line properties. It would be nice that I could quickly switch between the red and blue as I am working.

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• nowikovs12

• ReMark

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alternately, you could create two layers, upon both of which the linetype and color would be set to by layer, with the desired properties, switching between them as you draw.

Thanks ReMark for your quick reply,

Will it also store the colour, thickness and other settings associated with the coloured lines?

Thanks again

Thank you that is definitely an option. I was just wondering if there is a quick way similar to the MATCHPROP which has become one of my favorite commands.

Yes, I really like MATCHPROP too.

No doubt if you favor it, you are aware of the range of selectable options.

What is stopping you from using MATCHPROP?

Slap samples on a tool pallete, as ReMark suggested, drag them both into your drawing, then use those as the references for MATCHPROP.

You said in your first post you wanted to switch colors as you were drawing, which was why I thought the layer switch was more fluid on the fly.

I suppose you could create a couple of buttons, probably three actually, each of which would trigger a macro to change the current linetype, to whichever you want to use.

matchprop settings options.JPG

Thanks Dadgad,

I might not have tool palette available as I am working on a Mac at work on 2016 LT version. Is there a command to initiate the tool palette? Then I would know for sure if it is available.

On PC, the combo CTRL+3 will open your tool palettes. You must have them, even in LT and on a Mac, I should think.

Or try this at your commandline, IF CTRL+3 doesn't open them.

Command: '_ToolPalettes

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 11.07.49.png

cntrl+3 will toggle on or off the tool sets.

and cmd+3 will toggle the command bar.

I entered the CUI and created additional "empty" tool set. Is there a way to get the lines in there?

I attached a snapshot of what tools I have available.

I just found it,

knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-show-tool-palettes-in-AutoCAD-for-the-Mac.html

I have never used AutoCad on a Mac, wish I understood the nomenclature better. I don't know what Tool Sets are, although it looks like it is something other than Palletes which are descibed lower on your dialog box.

Returns with - Unknown command. Ok not to worry there are quite a few limitations from the full version. I will play with this when I get home on my PC.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Dadgad,

I tried the shortcuts in the link and it just toggles on or off the palettes that are visible on my screen. The autocad on mac looks like a baby version compared to the full version on PC. :D

I think you need to change your Profile re: AutoCAD for Mac. For some questions that may well be a factor in what you'll get as a response.

You are very welcome, if using the ToolPallete approach becomes too difficult, you could definitely do it the other way with designated layers for each style.

Or, create the buttons, assuming macros are an option on the MAC.

Good luck with it, let us know how you wind up doing it. :)

Absolutely a good suggestion ReMark, as there are some MAC users on the forum, who might be more inclined to and better equipped to address your questions, if you made that clear! :beer:

Hi guys,

Say I have two line styles, one red dashed and the other blue dotted. My current preset as I am drafting is set to black continuous line which is fine.

Is there a quick way to pick properties of the two lines (coloured) as I am drawing?

My current workflow is drawing with my default black line and once I am finished I use pickprop command to pick red or blue line properties. It would be nice that I could quickly switch between the red and blue as I am working.

Thanks!

I personally like to leave my properties palette open. with that you can select the line type fairly easily, though some people dont like losing the screen real estate.