reducing vertexes 38000 to 5000 but still unmanagable....

cat3appr

hello,

I have to deal with massive polylines with thousand of vertex, so each time i select one, CAD hangs for some time, often I need to close it and start again.

I'd like to simplify this polyline from the properties, by reducing the vertex, however i still need to select it first! so when i select it, CAD freezes.

anyone knows how to solve this?

thank you!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• cat3appr

• BIGAL

• MillerMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello,

I have to manage some massive massive polylines with thousand of vertex, so each time i select one, hangs for some time, often I need to close it and start again.

I tried to simplify it from the properties, by reducing the vertex, however i still need to select it first! so when i select it, freezes.

And still even after reducing the vertexes ( from 38000 to 5000) the polyline is still unmanageble, if i click on it, i have to wait forever... and then close .

thank you!Screenshot - 24_07_2016 , 18_10_24.jpg

anyone knows how to solve this?

5,000 is still a hell of a lot of vertices. 38,000? Forget about it. :|

I agree with BIGAL! :beer:

Go back to whatever is making the plines and see if you can change step increment to a bigger number.

not possible, I need to solve this in this DWG,

Does anyone know how to manage and reduce vertex in the polyline that I described?

thank you!

My guess is that these polylines were created by converting splines to polylines, at which point you are given the option of setting relevant settings.

As you seem to have managed to change the Properties of one, which contained 38,000 vertices, presumably you should once again be able to select it, and reduce the number of vertices again, but you should reduce it much further, it appears, that the polyline as shown could be pretty accurately displayed with 20 vertices, maybe less, at which point you would be loving life again.

I know no way of doing this, without successfully selecting the entity, although, no doubt there may be a way to do it with lisp. Good luck with them. :)

I just googled, and found this, looks like it might help you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2010-2011-2012/convert-plines-to-splines/td-p/3372549

My guess is that these polylines were created by converting splines to polylines, at which point you are given the option of setting relevant settings.

no, this polyline comes from an excel file that i plotted. I tried to work the excel file as well with a moving average but i'm not getting anywhere

As you seem to have managed to change the Properties of one, which contained 38,000 vertices, presumably you should once again be able to select it, and reduce the number of vertices again, but you should reduce it much further, it appears, that the polyline as shown could be pretty accurately displayed with 20 vertices, maybe less, at which point you would be loving life again.

I know no way of doing this, without successfully selecting the entity, although, no doubt there may be a way to do it with lisp. Good luck with them. :)

actually it's confusing because if you look at the properties it says current vertex 1 ; vertex X:37000... so first of all I take it's the X vertex that i need to reduce...

Screenshot - 25_07_2016 , 10_17_09.jpg

but still, even after reducing it down to 500 vertexes, the polyline still shows zillions of vertexes and it's still unmanageable, if i click on it, CAD hangs.

Screenshot - 25_07_2016 , 10_22_22.jpg

Save a copy of your drawing, and on that one, reduce the number of vertices to 20, nothing to lose, as you will be working on your copy, right?

500 is still a lot of vertices. :|

Edited by Dadgad

Save a copy of your drawing, and on that one, reduce the number of verices to 20, nothing to lose, as you will be working on your copy, right?

500 is still a lot of vertices. :|

the "reduce vertices" just doesn't work, period. even after reducing it to 20, I still see the zillion of blue dots and when i click on it, it hangs exactly as when it had 38000 vertex....

Anyone knows about a good lisp that would take care of this?

Screenshot - 25_07_2016 , 11_51_11.jpg

Looking at the properties, I now see that you are not reducing the number of vertices, but rather, you are changing the X coordinate of a single current vertex, to 20.0000, which is vertex # 1, which is currently selected. That is not what we were hoping to do. Is it any wonder, that you still have a multitude of other vertices? :|

The blue dots, are typically described as grips.

Furthermore your polyline still has ??? vertices, all you have succeeded in doing so far is redefining the X coordinate of the first (current) vertex.

Oh thank God, the cavalry has arrived, in the forms of eldon and hakmawongzi.

What software is being used, out of curiosity, probably a non-issue, but I just noticed that it is not Autocad Vanilla, based on the additionl display tabs on your Properties display?

Edited by Dadgad

......And still even after reducing the vertexes ( from 38000 to 5000) the polyline is still unmanageble.....

How do you know that there are 38000 vertexes? Did you count them? If you have a spreadsheet, how many lines were there?

Can you post the spreadsheet with the data?

How do you know that there are 38000 vertexes? Did you count them? If you have a spreadsheet, how many lines were there?

Can you post the spreadsheet with the data?

Screenshot - 25_07_2016 , 10_17_09.jpg

as u can see, from the first CAD selection, 37680 vertex

i've uploaded the excel file here because it's too large

That number represents the X coordinate of that particular vertex, not the number of vertices in your polyline.

You don't really think that you have 37,680.4045 vertices, do you? :huh:

That number represents the X coordinate of that particular vertex, not the number of vertices in your polyline.

You don't really think that you have 37,680.4045 vertices, do you? :huh:

still, the problem remains the same, how do i reduce the vertexes?

Please respond to eldon's and hakmawongzi's posts. All we want to do is help you.

Please help us to help you. :)

I have spent a fair amount of time trying to come up with a solution for you, and been unable to, pretty much run out of ideas.

Hopefully, one of them will suggest another approach, or a new perspective, which will get you back on the tracks.

The excel really just shows 37000 entries but no formula.

You really have not hinted at what exactly the numbers mean, it is some form of equation again you must go back to that equation and change the step.

You could go to the excel and remove every 2nd line this would give 15,000+ or every 3rd 4th etc but it will change the shape. Just make a macro. need to look at cell reference eg =cell x+3,y then x=x+3 till end

The excel really just shows 37000 entries but no formula.

Just 37,000, a mere drop in the galactic bucket! :beer:

I scrolled down to the bottom of the list, looked like 40,173 entries, hardly worth mentioning, but certainly enough to bog down any computer I have ever owned, at least momentarily, if not terminally.

Short of reducing that by a hefty margin, it will always be hard to work with. Even trying to view the excel file is difficult, let alone work with the polyline.

Manually entered, ouch! I'd be freaking out too. :|

Sounds to me like hakmawongzi might be on to something there?

Having plotted it out, and here is a picture of part of it, do you want to average the peaks and troughs? What exactly do you want to do with it?

You might find that taking every 100th point gives you a workable line. If that is the case, then I would work in the spreadsheet before drawing it in AutoCAD.

SmoothPolyline.jpg