Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Oh, I am definitively asking you.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Ski_Me's Computer Details
    Computer:
    DELL (why oh lord must I suffer)
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Ski_Me's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Fire Alarm tech
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

For the purpose of demonstration this difference in scale is a bit extreme but I wanted to show that if you select a different scale for your annotative objects than your viewport you can still see your annotative objects without having to add new scales. I maintain the same annotative scale for all my objects because all of my annotative objects are nested within blocks so I just use 1 scale for all my drawings. As you can see if you adjust the viewport scale to match the annotative scale to 1/64th then the text becomes to small to see but if the annotative scale is set to 1/8th and the viewport is set to 1/64th the text scales to 1/8th paper space instead of 1/64th. I didn't go to page set up to adjust the paper size but if you want play with that as well. For me this works really well, I don't have to mess with different annotation scales and it stream lines my work.
    Attached Files

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

So basically my assumption was correct. Some companies might have a problem with that approach if they insist on standard text/dimension heights for all their drawings. We avoid the problem by placing all text and dimensions in the layout and not in model space. But...each to his own.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Thank you Ski_Me, this is a very interesting work around.

Alternatively it is always the manual set up of parameters in the Annotative DimStyle Dialog box.

Guys, is there an acknowledged standard of parameters or template in (mm) of common Annotative Dimensions Settings that would be relevant to A4, A3, A1 formats.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I suppose that would depend on the country you live/work in primarily. Where do you live?

Using
    MEP 2017

Quote Originally Posted by kashbg View Post
    Thank you Ski_Me, this is a very interesting work around.
    I wouldn't even consider it a work around in a proper drafting environment. It is counterintuitive to what annotative scaling is for. In a way, the workaround breaks the functionality of it. Remember, annotative scaling is Autodesk's solution for consistent sizes in paper space. If you want different sizes in paper space, you should use different styles.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    I suppose that would depend on the country you live/work in primarily. Where do you live?
    I live in UK, the former EU member.
    We use primarily Architectural units (mm) as opposed to Imperial.

Computer Details
    Computer:
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Occupation
    Fire Alarm tech
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Quote Originally Posted by RobDraw View Post
    I wouldn't even consider it a work around in a proper drafting environment. It is counterintuitive to what annotative scaling is for. In a way, the workaround breaks the functionality of it. Remember, annotative scaling is Autodesk's solution for consistent sizes in paper space. If you want different sizes in paper space, you should use different styles.
    RobDraw is correct this is not really a workaround it's just applying a different method. I'm not sure what is meant by breaking functionality since AutoCAD allows you to use a annotative scale that's different from the viewport scale. Why would they include a sync function if you couldn't do this. I'm not sure about everybody else on what they do but I know that I have to produce my drawings from work that other people have done which means that if they are using some bizarre crazy scale I need to use the same scale. I'm not going to go through the trouble of creating a whole set of styles and blocks just for a few drawings that I will never use again. Call it bad cad if you like but I found a way that works and works well. Now if you could please direct me to where Autodesk said that annotative scaling is for consistent sizes in paper space I would like to tell them that they are wrong.

Using
    MEP 2017

You live in a different drafting world, Ski_Me.

Annotative scaling was introduced as an better way to make sure things appear in paper space at the same scale without having to create multiple styles and/or symbolic blocks. I know this from when it was first introduced. You can do the research if you would like to complain to Autodesk, but I'm not doing it for you. A lot of people learn to use things in a different manner than was intended. If it works for your world, I'm not going to fault you for it. I work with a different, more universal, and stringent, set of rules.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Computer Details
    Computer:
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Occupation
    Fire Alarm tech
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Clearly you do work from a different set of standards than I do. My situation is unique in that producing drawings is a big part of what I do but it's not the only thing I do. AutoCAD is one of many tools I use in my tool box to get my job done. I do wish that all I had to do is design work but my skills as a tech out weighs the need for me to be at a workstation everyday of the week to being out in the field trouble shooting and installing systems. But I wouldn't trade my position for anything in the world right now, nobody else that works in the same field as me in this state can do what I do. And I do it well. I don't really want to complain to Autodesk about anything really I know the intent was exactly what you said they first came out with it, but I'm sure they realize that people like me would find another way to apply it so it fits their needs.