RomanS font - True type

I'm using the RomanS font in my drawings.

The trouble is that it can't be selected when you print to PDF (such as for copying and pasting). This may be because it's not a True Type font.

Is there a True Type version available anywhere?

I found a TTF version and it looks bolder in AutoCAD.

But the text still can't be selected in the PDF.

Is there an way to select text if it's a shape font (SHX)?

It looks like the the width factor is an issue as well. Even if I use a standard Microsoft font and change the width factor to 0.8, then the text cannot be selected.

Edited by sketch11

OK thanks, it's a shame that you can't select text of the SHX type.

And what compounds the issue is that even if you use a TTF font and change the width factor, it again can't be selected.

I am not quite sure why you are not able to select RomanS shx font in a PDF file.

I have an old survey where all the text was in RomanS shx font. I used DWG TrueView to turn it into a PDF, and all the text was recognized. I use Acrobat Reader DC.

So I am not sure whether your problem is widely shared.

RomanS text in PDF.PNG

• Like 1

That's interesting.

I think others have the same issue as I did read about it before posting.

The width factor change as well is another reason.

Edited by sketch11

13 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Eldon Acad 2002 contradicts SLW210 answer, or what pdf writer  do you use ?

Really? I think you need to reevaluate that response and reread what Eldon used to create the PDF.

The OP shows using AutoCAD 2013, they will need to update AutoCAD or use a recent version of DWG TrueView.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:39 AM, sketch11 said:

That's interesting.

I think others have the same issue as I did read about it before posting.

The width factor change as well is another reason.

It's been over 20 years since I've used an SHX font. Assuming you've changed the width factor because RomanS uses too much screen space why not just switch to a TrueType font like Arial Narrow or AutoCAD's Swis721 Lt BT? They're easier to read while taking up less screen space than what you're using now. It should eliminate your PDF issues.

• Like 1

OK thanks I was changing the width for screen space.

The reason I like RomanS is because it was a thin-line font.

I'll consider the Swis721 range given that it would take away the width factor. Thanks for pointing this out.

38 minutes ago, sketch11 said:

OK thanks I was changing the width for screen space.

The reason I like RomanS is because it was a thin-line font.

I'll consider the Swis721 range given that it would take away the width factor. Thanks for pointing this out.

For screen space the Swis721 Lt BT is the one you want. I'm using Arial Narrow now as it's slightly more compact but only comes with Windows 10.

Personal Pet Peeve that wastes even more screen space: I've never seen a book in all caps and if you used all caps in any online forum it's considered offensive. Up until CAD was introduced all caps was used for drawings because it was easier with both hand lettering or Leroy. I still see occasional drawings done in all caps which besides being hard to read uses a lot more screen space.

Because that's how it's always been done here before has been used for way too many excuses like not using Paper Space for plotting that's been around as long as many CAD users have been alive or being afraid to start using that newfangled Multiline Text or Annotative anything.

The old Romans shx font was an improvement on the original AutoCAD font where an "A" looked like a house and was defined via a 5 x 7 grid.

image.png.9ddafa03d2371e6dfb2fefb6c7741a7c.png

Romans uses a fine grid (14 x 21?) to define each line of a character.  True Type fonts in contrast use Bezier splines to define smooth curves for each character that maintain the appearance of a smooth curved even when scaled up.

Here's a comparison of the stick font romans and the True Type font RomanS_IV25. 

image.png.81f7cf0fe15d00d46f1722620e5d98e0.png

Note that each uses a mono spacing for the numerals 0 - 9 but uses different widths for alphabetic characters.   It should be noted that although the True Type RomanS_IV25 could have has smooth curves it was defined to have straight lines of the old grid based line fonts.  In the image below the first line is Romans, the second is RomaS_IV25, and the third Arial. Arial use the full capabilities of splines to create a smooth curve.

image.png.689111c735c9811ead3cee77830d7686.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2022 at 8:08 AM, Purna Aditya said:

Type command pdfshx in the command bar.

Change the value to 0.

PDFSHX (System Variable) Controls whether text objects using SHX fonts are stored in PDF files as comments when you export a drawing as a PDF file.

Best way to avoid text and file size issues in PDF's is to simply avoid using SHX fonts. TrueType fonts have been available in AutoCAD for over 30 years.