Palettes

njmike

Ok, I have created the palettes and now when I try to load them from the network drive non of the images of the blocks are there. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• njmike

• JohnM

• RichKuni

Top Posters In This Topic

In Autocad I have gone under the OP command and changed where the system looks for Tool Palettes.

Did you export the Tool Palettes properly? And did you restart AutoCAD after you changed the path?

Just re-started and it did not work. I did not export just told the system to look in a different folder. I there an easier way?

Just re-started and it did not work. I did not export just told the system to look in a different folder. I there an easier way?

Well if you don't export them, then there's no Tool Palettes to be "loaded" now is there? :lol:

Did you not follow the steps I showed you in your other post?

I thought I did.

Go to the directory where your Tool Palettes are located now, on your local computer. Copy/Paste that folder into the new folder on the network. The folder is literally named "ToolPalettes". You've already chosen a folder on the network, so just put it in there, and relocated it under the Options menu. :)

Ok, I have created the palettes and now when I try to load them from the network drive non of the images of the blocks are there. What am I doing wrong?

I just auto-created my tool palettes using the design center and browsing through all of my block libraries creating them one at a time. It autopaths them for you. Have you tried that?

OK, did everything in your tutorial and worked fine. I shut down and now all the images are white blocks. When I go to call the tool palettes up again.

OK, did everything in your tutorial and worked fine. I shut down and now all the images are white blocks. When I go to call the tool palettes up again.

Are your blocks on the network? They have to be networked too. This is probably what your problem is. The Tool Palettes are reading from another location than where the Blocks actually are located at.

You need to start brainstorming a new folder structure on the network dedicated for your AutoCAD needs, especially when sharing blocks, CUI, Fonts, Lisp files, Plot Styles, PC3 files, and especially Tool Palettes. This folder needs to be reserved to house everything.

Blocks are on the network, but not in the same file as the palettes?

Right-click any Block on your tool palettes, and make sure the path points to the *.DWG file where the block is located.

Tool pallets are just shortcuts to blocks in other drawings. Its not the tool pallet that needs to be on the network it’s the path to the blocks themselves. Example if you have a drawing with blocks located on your machine located at C:\MY Blocks\Block.dwg and you make a tool palette it will map that path. If you export the tool palette to a server or another computer the block dwg needs to be in the same path as the other machine

Tool pallets are just shortcuts to blocks in other drawings. Its not the tool pallet that needs to be on the network it’s the path to the blocks themselves.

When you're working in a network environment and "sharing" Tool Palettes among other drafters, you do need to share them on a network as well.

We are talking about using a server right?

If so,

If you want to share blocks with others on a network it’s a whole lot easer to have the files containing the blocks on the server then make the tool pallete so the path is correct. Then export your tool pallet to the server so others can import it or they can make their own.

If you are just networking between 2 users it’s more complicated and has more issues.

Say you have a block located on your machine at C:\my blocks. That’s ok for your pallete but the path for the other user is quite different \\ \C:\my blocks.

This makes exporting and importing difficult because of the different paths and if the main computer is off the other computer cannot get at the blocks.

OK this is getting ridiculous, I have created the palettes on my machine. copied the directory to a network drive, changes the location in the options menu and when I go to another machine all it says is new palette. When I look on my machine it is pointing to the c drive. It;s like I didn't even change anything. I still have the palettes I want on my machine but cannot get them to go across the network.