Subtract or Slice or maybe something else? (HELP!)

Bobzy20

Hi I wonder if somebody can help me with this small problem I’m having.

I need to cut off the part of the spout that intersects inside the watering can (see area circled in red below) but when I try to use the subtract command I’m left with the inner spout only (see 2nd image below).

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobzy20

• ReMark

• SPARKY77

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Make a copy of the can and spout. Subtract the can from the spout. You'll be left with two pieces of the spout that act as one. Use the Separate command to break this bond. Erase the portion you don't need. The piece that remains can be mated up with the original watering can. The duplicate spout can be erased.

Thanks again for your help ReMark.

I simply copied both the watering can and the spout to a new blank drawing, pasted them in and then used the subtract command and somehow I was left with the correct part of the spout! This wouldn’t work on the original drawing.

I then just copied the spout back into the original drawing and pasted it in place.

So simple when you know how!

Thanks

Bobzy20

Pretty soon you'll be giving all the advice and we can all go fishing! LOL

Glad to hear you got the results you were looking for.

Another option would have been to use the Slice command. You would have to be in 2D wireframe mode to see what you're doing.

Let’s hope one day I get my head around the Z axis!

I now have a new problem I would like some help on if possible. I’m now trying to draw a spout to fix onto my watering can but I’m not sure which is the best way to start drawing it (see images below).

The dimensions are shown in image no. 1 below and then it should look like image no. 3 (bottom) when complete.

I can easily use the extrude command to extrude the circles out to the required distances but how would I extrude from a 38Ø circle to a 26 Ø circle (see image no. 2 below, highlighted).

Maybe using a Taper Angle command?

Thanks

Bobzy20

Draw one half and Revolve. Do not need to know the angle. I would do one half solid revolve, then shell and finally chamfer.

i WOULD DRAW THE ONE PROFILE OF 2 THICKNESS AND THE REVOLVE IT AROUND THE AXIS AND THEN YOU WOULDN'T NEED TO SHELL IT AFTER

HERE IS AN ILLUSTRATION

SPOUT.png

Oh I forgot to ask, how do you chamfer the spout edge (as per images above) at a 45° angle?

Thanks

Bobzy20

Oh I forgot to ask, how do you chamfer the spout edge (as per images above) at a 45° angle?

Thanks

Bobzy20

Actually you could make the chamfer in the profile of the section half before revolving. Or as a solid body simply start the chamfer command select the circle reprsenting the edge to chamfer and specify the distances and/or angle.

Thanks for that, I think I’ve done it right!

I’m using AutoCAD 2011 and there is Chamfer (Modify Tab) & Chamfer Edges (Modify Tab/Solid Editing). They look the same to me!

Maybe 2D & 3D options.

Bobzy20

Ok now I’m trying to create the Sprinkler Head but again I’m not sure how to turn it into a 3D Solid. I’ve drawn the profile as per the illustration below but how would how do I turn that into a solid, Revolve or something else?

Also how would you go about creating those small ø2 holes equally-spaced at 4mm centres about the centre of the face? I guess using the array command?

Again any help would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

I have to disagree with you Remark you could use Revolve. You would create a funnel and then subtract the 40deg angle and fillet the edge with a radius 5. Then shell the object and then create the holes on the surfice.

Here's an example

NOZZLE.jpg

Cheers for that guys.

SPARKY77 – I might need a little more help if possible please.

Have you drawn your illustration in 3D Solid or a 2D profile as I can’t work it out?

I’ve drawn it as a 2D profile but I think that’s wrong.

Cheers

Bobzy20

I would take a slightly different approach but their are many way's to do it...

Revolving a simple profile is a good start and will get you a basic cone to work with.

spout1.png

Then you can shell the solid for your wall thickness and create a slicing plane at the appropriate angle

spout2.png

Now slice and separate.

spout3.png

Now use Copy Faces to get your spouts surface for the holes. (remember to explode the copied surface to get an extrudable profile).

spout4.png

And extrude it out the thickness you want...

spout5.png

Now you have a solid ellipse to work with... After making the holes you can union the two and fillet or just keep them separate.

Good Luck.

KC

I have to disagree with you Remark you could use Revolve. You would create a funnel and then subtract the 40deg angle and fillet the edge with a radius 5. Then shell the object and then create the holes on the surfice.

Here's an example

Shell feature - sounds good!