.idw files crashing Inventor 2008

eribiste

I'm having a spot of bother with INV 2008 folks. I'm running it on a machine that's not really man enough, which might be part of my problem. Anyway, everything works fine and dandy, I create folders and files using the single project from vault method of file management as outlined in the A/desk mfg community blog of Brian Schanen. I can retrieve everything except my .idw files. They show OK in the preview, but Inv crashes while building the file in the working window due to a software problem, with an error report screen.

I can print the drawings by exporting to AutoCad, but that's a bit inconvenient. INV 11 used to work OK without this hiccup.

Here's my set-up; 1.6GHz Celeron CPU, 2Gb RAM, Windows XP Home on a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop.

I wonder if the problem is a weedy CPU or an inappropriate OS? Ideas anyone?

Eribiste

I'm pretty sure that all of the hotfixes and updates and such like are present and correct. I use the communication device in the lower right hand corner to check for updates, and I make occasional forays onto the Autodesk website to check as well.

I seem to recall others having similar problems back then but I can't recall the solution.

Can you open the sample idw(s) in the Samples folder.

I think the most common problem for crashing is unsupported graphics cards/drivers.

Try going to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and set to the lowest radio button. Close Inventor and restart to try idw again. While on the Hardware tab also try setting to OpenGL instead of Direct3D if it gives you that choice.

My next suggest would be to try a defrag and general clean up of your disk

if no luck

repair install

if no luck

reformat hard drive and reinstall OS (should be done every year or two anyhow)

and then reinstall Inventor and Hotfixes and Service Packs

if no luck

let go of some of those bucks (whatever you Brits call them) stuffed in the matress and buy a new 64-bit computer loaded with RAM and Inventor 2010 ;~)

This is a bit curious. One or two of the sample .idw files open, such as the bicycle suspension forks, but the engine idw doesn't. The Arbor Press used to, but now won't. I'm puzzled. There isn't some sort of time out setting in the registry or some such I suppose? :?

There isn't some sort of time out setting...

No. Sounds like your install has become corrupted.

I seem to have fixed this JDM. I haven't uninstalled and re-installed, but I did do a re-install via the Add/Remove Programs > Change route in Control Panel. I set the graphics card options as per your suggestions. Then I plugged in my mental self-help module and downloaded an Inventor File Discipline update! It seems that as long as I save the idw file as soon as I open it with the same file name as the iam assembly name, the idw files open OK. I always have been a bit sloppy over saving my work. I know better now!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I had a recurrence of the file opening problem. It's fixed now, and I fixed it by un-installing Inventor 2008 completely and then re-installing, which suggests that my first install was not clean. It was quite a sanction, but worthwhile of course to get the software running right.