grading to an elevation on a surface

MrErlo

i have a feature line with varying elevations and want to grade from the edge of a building, down to a given elevation on my existing surface using varying slope/grade. specifically, i want to grade perpendicular from the edge of a building, down to the existing surface at a given elevation, but not a constant slope/grade.

is that possible? what's the best way to do that?

Do you want to grade at a static slope down to that elevation or do you want to tie it into the 2531' contour and let the slope be what it will?

Why not just grade down at the desired slope into the surface and let it tie in where it may?

Why not just grade down at the desired slope into the surface and let it tie in where it may?

I used "grade to surface at a slope", and got something that's OK for now.

next question is, how can i get the proposed surface to tie more smoothly into the existing surface? you can see the new contours (orange) meet the existing contours (grey) at 90 degree angles in some places. since i don't want a swale there, i'd like those to be a little smoother,any advice?

107qpa0.png

My first thought would be to use either points or breaklines (ie - fake contour lines added as breaklines - or draw a line where it created the "swale" at grade and perhaps raise/lower as necessary then add as breakline [might need to do extra grading for this to work]) to fill in the area(s) where you feel it's going to create a "swale" situation.

Another thought, and I'm not sure how well this would work, would be to draw a feature line along the point of intersection where your grading intersected the existing ground, raise it a bit and then grade it down into existing and up into your previous grading at a comfortable slope to fill it in...