Volume measuring

Tiger

I got a small assignment that ofc needs to be done today - and since the office empties around me, that's not gonne happen :wink:

but I need your help - since it was a loong time ago I did anything 3D like this.

The attached file is a very simple model, done with only 3D-polylines - and I've been tasked with getting the volume from this thing. And I have no idea where to start.

and most likely, they are gonne come back in a few days and say "hey, if we lower the walls, what will the volume be then?" :glare:

So, Oh Good 3D-modellers out there - tell me there's a simple way to get a volume from a set of connected 3D-polylines!

oh, and using AutoCAD 2008 vanilla.

ew, thats not a friendly model at all:) some of the lines dont connect to each other so you can tell them "error, its not a valid model" :)

if you can make everything surfaces you can convert it to a solid and use the tool/inquiry menu

volume.jpg

ew, thats not a friendly model at all:) some of the lines dont connect to each other so you can tell them "error, its not a valid model" :)

if you can make everything surfaces you can convert it to a solid and use the tool/inquiry menu

Yeah I know, I was handed this with a friendly smile and a "I've made the base model, can you just figure out the volume?" :glare:

Surfaces you say? will check that out :)

ah great! thanks a million Sean!! can I ask how you did it? cause I've been staring at regions and 3Dsurfaces all day and just can't get it together...

I was just about to add this to my previous post:

I just re-read the original post, so will give a general overview of the process used.

Triangulate every vertex on the 3dPolylines (this is where the assumptions come in)

Create a Region for every triangle

Extrude with “Path” option. Path is a line (0,0,0) (0,0,10)

Slice coplanar to top polyline rim

Union

Some of the steps above can be automated with Command Macros. Perhaps now, with a 3D solid available, subsequent change requests can be set with the SolidTools.

I was just about to add this to my previous post:

I just re-read the original post, so will give a general overview of the process used.

Triangulate every vertex on the 3dPolylines (this is where the assumptions come in)

Create a Region for every triangle

Extrude with “Path” option. Path is a line (0,0,0) (0,0,10)

Slice coplanar to top polyline rim

Union

Some of the steps above can be automated with Command Macros. Perhaps now, with a 3D solid available, subsequent change requests can be set with the SolidTools.

just a clarification, "triangulare every vertex" - as in connect every vertext to another wit a 3Dpoly?

This is an area that is to be surrounded by concrete walls, and the area needs to have a capacity of a certain amount of cubic meters - so yes, the unit is suppose to be meters.

And I just popped it into LDT and got 15639 cu.m.

For Civil jobs, the odd 100 cu.m. here and there does not really matter, but make sure you get the right one when you are measuring for payment! :D

Sorry, got called away from the office.

just a clarification, "triangulare every vertex" - as in connect every vertext to another wit a 3Dpoly?

Yes. Like for the large triangular area, the back edge is not linear or planar. It required subdividing to get basic triangles that were “region”able. Unfortunately, triangle construction is a bit arbitrary and apparently my choices were not the same as used by 29xthefun and eldon.

NonTri.jpg

Tri.jpg

Ok, got it Sean. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for checking the numbers, like you said, it doesn't have to be on the spot right - we were more worried that it was below 14 000 cubic m, in that case we would have had bigger trouble on our hands..

And I just popped it into LDT and got 15639 cu.m.

For Civil jobs, the odd 100 cu.m. here and there does not really matter, but make sure you get the right one when you are measuring for payment! :D

I know what you mean eldon, I have seen my mamager 'round' up my numbers a few times LoL