Preview OK, drawing file is not

Coosbaylumber

Am using Acad R-14, and the little 2 by 2 Preview is all correct, but when the file gets opened up is all wrong.

Back last year, I made up a file. It contained numerous line segments. That file does not now seem to exist correctly. When I open up the primary named file that little one with the text and lines was XREF'd in as a secondary. Thus the preview looks good, the opened up file is bad. The actual opened up file does not include that little drawing file, it seems to sub- in some other one. What happens then is either Windows or Acad begins looking all over the hard drive for a file with similar title, and substitutes that in then. The little file of one year ago, does not seem to exist in current directory anymore.

How can I go about making what I see in preview work then? Took me two days to make up that little file with the lines, and now I only have memories of it, and a preview.

I took a quick look in the Windows Recycle bin, and it is empty. So, not there.

Tried Undelete in DOS, and got a Duh?

I also have not saved anything, so right now I can still open up the file name and get the correct looking preview.

Wm.

The preview is nothing more than a tiny bitmap embedded in the drawing file. It is not necessarily a representation of what you will get when the drawing is opened.

I take it that you did a complete search of your entire hard drive for the "missing" file? Do you generally make .bak files? If so, do you generally send them to the Recycle Bin on a regular basis or are they apt to be on your hard drive? Did you search the entire hard drive for missingfile.bak too?