want to make a simple box with grids in it

flipper16

hey i am new to autocad and am finding it confusing. I really just want to make a box that is 4.75 inches by 4.75 inches in size. In that box i want to have 16 small boxes to fill the the bigger box all evenly in size. Also i want to have 1600 grid dots to fill entire box. How would i go about doing this. I want to create this so when i go measure a roof that i can draw a diagram of the roof in this grided box. I am a roofer and this would be very handy for me. Thank you

Well, to start off you want to make the box.

Type in rec at the command line for rectangle. Then click where you want the box to be. Type D for dimensions. Enter. And then 4.75" for length and width. Then you just click on your screen and you have your box!

Now for the 16 squares inside- The way I would probably end up doing it is by using the divide command. Use the pull down menu- Draw>Point>Divide

Select your rectangle. Type 16 for the number of segments. It will then divide the square up using points. You can draw the lines using osnap node.

If you can't see the points, type pdmode at the command line and type in 3. They should show up then.

I hope that helps you- I don't know if I explained it very well.

I don't know how to make the 1600 grid dots. Sorry.

i am also having an issue getting the main box at 4.75" by 4.75". It doesn't allow me to put " at the end of the 4.75. So when i put 4.75 in, it is a lot smaller then 4.75 inches

Draw a circle with a very small radius (say 1/256) on the corner of your square you have created. Then go to Modify - Array, select rectangular array, 40 rows, 40 columns. Click select objects (upper right corner) and select your tiny circle. Do some math to figure out how far apart they need to be and click ok. AutoCAD will draw 1600 circles (points) for you.

I'd go back and draw a slightly larger circle (1/128 ) centered on the existing circle on every fifth row to make it easier to use.

As for it being the right size, go to Format - Units and be sure that you are working in Architectural. I'd also set the Precision to 1/256.

You can zoom in and out and even print your new graph paper at different sizes, so don't worry too much about how big it looks on the screen.

Glen