autocad shadow

matyage

Hi! I wonder if there exist any function inside autocad or some external application that would export vectorized shadow projected from sunlight?

I have a sample on the image below. I usually export sliced model using "flatshot", to make 2D plan and would also need a shadow projected in 2d for attractive presentation.

I hope somebody can help me! Thank you!

M.

Untitled-1.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but what I did when I wanted a shadow, I put the same shape under it, made it a darker colour, and offset it abit.

Will post a picture to see if it helps.

Guest LElkins

I am not sure about your original request, but if there are no alternatives to adding the shadow manually then I can help you out with a quick little tool that I have created.

Let me know,

Cheers

I am not sure about your original request, but if there are no alternatives to adding the shadow manually then I can help you out with a quick little tool that I have created.

Let me know,

Cheers

I'd be more than interested in that too :)

Guest LElkins
I'd be more than interested in that too :)

OK. It is very basic for now, another 1 of those tools that are continuously in development, that seem to mutate from the original objective.

The coding in it is very untidy an uncommented.

I believe it is working fine, and a couple of my guys use it regularly.

It is by no means a life saver, but does remove some of the tedious aspects of the task...

Use the macro ^C^C-vbarun;"directory/shadow.dvb!Module1.Startup";

where directory is the location in which the file is saved. Be sure to use / rather than \.

I will write up a description if I get time, but it is pretty self explanatory if you play with it, just make sure that you select the layers, number of points, type and angle or it will throw an error at you.

Let me know if you experience any problems, or have any suggestions on improvement.

Cheers

Guest LElkins

No problem guys.

Like I said, if you need any help, or have any suggestions or just feedback, positive or negative (in the form of constructive criticism) the please post and I will try and improve to suit needs, to an extent.

Cheers

hi! thanx for your advices! LElkins, it's very useful application in cases with simple geometry!

I guess there exist no plugin for vectorizing the actual shadow projections.

(but I think rasterizing shadow is only the last step - and the shadow itself must firstly be processed with vectors??) But there might be some external application that could operate on CAD geometry and project shadows? Some GIS applications maybe?

• 1 year later...