dwg to eps / the mystery...

lef

hello guys !

this is my first post here :D

I am an architecture student from Italy and I am currently doing my graduate thesis but I have some urgent issues that honestly I can't solve...

it's about 4 years that I am using autocad (although I am not an expert), the common format I use for the uni is A1 sheet (84.1 x 59.4 cm)

firstly I finish the drafting part in Acad and then I print the file via the virtual plotter(eps format)and finally I import the eps file in photoshop for the final touch... (use colors,textures,place renderings etc)

ok,here is the problem ...

when I raster the dwg in photoshop ,although I use 300dpi, the oblique lines always have this "choppy effect" but the straight ones are ok ...

of course a solution could be the use of 600 dpi or more but then it's hard to work because the file becomes really heavy and photoshop freezes even when you try a simple command...

another solution is to print via pdf or directly from autocad but I think that the "photoshop way" is more powerful and fun to adjust things etc...

what is your work flow guys ? any ideas ?can this problem be solved ?

thanks

lef

ps I m currently working with Acad 2005, photoshop cs2

ps2 the attachment shows the issue I am talking about(100% crop / 300 dpi)

eeee.jpg

Do you have Illustrator? If so maybe try going to from AutoCAD to Illustrator and then to PS. Are you exporting to EPS or plotting to EPS? You can also set up a raster plotter to plot to Tiff.

hi f700es ! thanks for the reply!

I'm plotting to EPS...

I just tried the illustrator way ... no good! :(

I exported in tiff -300 dpi but the problem remains ...(although it's 138mb)

mmmmm.jpg

The more pixels the less jagged, you will just have to find what you are comfortable with.

I haven't used PS in years, but doesn't it have smooth filtering or something to help smooth the lines?

• 8 months later...

TRY this:

drop it into autocad (2009)

enter "viewres" at the command line

yes to fast zoom

set the res to 10000 or higher

then r (or redraw)

ctrl p (plot)

Set plot settings to a nice hig res and then choose autocads pdf print driver.

this may or may not work, but it helps when we have line weight issues on complex isometric pipework diagrams .

c'mon guys ! 45 thread views and only one reply ??? :(

Sorry. You're getting out of my area as it sounds more like a conversion problem

I had a similar problem and that diagonal lines printed fuzzy but horizontal and vertical lines printed fine. It turned out to be the print driver

It sounds like you have done this before with no problem. Was it on the same machine? If so, did anything change on photoshop such as an upgrade? In theory, they are an improvement but they are MUCH better at increasing sales by re-selling you the software that you already own.