Inserting ECW into correct coordinates.

Tallie

Hi all,

I have an ECW I need for the background of a drawing. When I attatch it, it doesn't come in at any coordinates, it's inserted at 0,0 (which is obviously wrong).

So I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out. Is it possible to solve this problem with AutoCAD or will I need AutoCAD Map or even something else?:geek:

Cheers

How are you inserting it? just through Insert command or are you using the insert option under the Map menu?

You will have to use the insert under the Map menu for Autocad to read the coordinates.

CAD64,

ECW file is a compressed image, that is much smaller than a tif image

I don't currently have civil 3D or map. (but map is available to me on one computer).

I have been attatching it to the drawing, as an xref - just an image instead of a drawing.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

This is just a follow up as I have finally had the time and worked out my problem. So I thought I should post my solution in case any one ever has the same problem as me.

To insert ECWs into the correct coordinates:

1. In AutoCAD Map go Create -> Insert an Image. Select the desired Image. It's best to insert the ECW this way, opposed to data connection as this way the image is inserted as a raster image which autocad can read and wont crash.

2. Save as DWG

Hope This Helps anyone

• 10 years later...

When inserting images with real world they often have a second file as an example a JPG file may have the following JGW which contains the image details, the values could be read in say excel and insert and scale worked out.

;;;Reads world tiff file (.jgw) to scale and place image correctly in autocad.
;;;First insert all tiff images into drawing at whatever scale and insertion point.
;;;If the jgw exists in same directory and is named the same as the image selected,
;;;it will automatically be found and the image will be scaled and placed. If it is
;;;not in the same directory, the user can browse for the file.
;;;03.23.2011 Added support to create jgw files as well as support rotated images :)
;;;Needs a file with 6 lines (ScaleX Rotation -Rotation -ScaleY TopLeftXCoord TopLeftYCoord)
;  « Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:43:43 am by ronjonp »  

The only other way is insert near correct and if LT has "Align" can realign image.

There are programs out there that can read the values that are in side maybe a ecw file and then use excel.